Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made a thread in the tranny section thinking my tranny was slipping. Everyone said to change fuel filter which I did, well at wide open about 50mph she just revs till it shifts then it pulls hard. Today it did it longer than it ever has then all of a sudden it said to change fuel filter and life went to 0% on it. Am I draining the fuel rail or what's going on?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
What's done to your truck? Tuned? Have a lift pump?

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it a month ago. It came straight piped and deleted. The guy I bought it from knew nothing about it as he bought it that way. I'm guessing it's tuned to delete the dpf out. No lift pump as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It may need a lift pump depending on how big the tune is. Need to watch your desired vs actual rail pressure.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Do you show any codes-??

Possible the fuel lines at the driver's side of the trans are restricting the fuel. That usually shows a P0087 code.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have anything to monitor. I'm also not getting any cel lights and my remote start works so it wouldn't be storing any codes right?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since you have no history on the truck, at least consider fuel line issues as being separate from the tranny problem. These trucks had a problem with fuel lines reacting to anything above B-10 or so. Rubber lines deteriorated from the inside out, plugged the filter, and were supposed to be replaced with bio-resistant hose by dealers IF the problem came up. Also, if you or anyone who owned the truck used a fuel treatment, it is possible that a couple of cap seals may have found their way into the tank. It takes about 3 or 4 of them to plug a line, and if they do, a brand new filter will show 0% on the DIC just as the truck dies and you coast to the side of the road, fumbling for your cell phone to call the tow truck...You shouldn't have to ask how I know these things...!

CH

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm I'm not sure if it's a clogged line or not as I just drove the truck again and it did fine. I hammered it and it never revved up like it did before. It just pulled all the way through?

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i've tried to get it to do the same thing and i can't get it to. When i thought i was having tranny problems it was doing the same thing as it was before the fuel filter life went to 0.

I reset the fuel filter on the dic and have hammered it many times and it just pulls hard throughout the 45-60mph range. The only thing i could think was something was clogging the fuel line and it finally pulled through and into the filter? Does that make sense or is that even possible? So i just swapped out the filter less than a week ago, do you all think i should change it again or should i wait if it goes to 0 again?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The problem for anyone to help you diagnose your issue is you know nothing about the truck. It has to be tuned to delete the dpf, but what and how big is the tune?
And apparently you didn't get any tuner device or tuner info from the previous owner. The problem your having could be the reason he got rid of it in the first place not knowing what he's doing, but it is fixable.
The remote start usually will not work if its a emissions related code.

Also you don't even know if it has a lift pump :Hmmmhmm
When you turn the key on NOT STARTING THE ENGINE if you have a lift pump you will hear a humming sound even from the cab, and/or remove the fuel cap and see if you see diesel flowing and foam down inside the fill neck with the key on. Turn the radio off :D
Also look underneath the truck on the driver side around the fuel tank area, look for a small pump and couple of small fuel filters which should be attached to the frame. If you don't have any of this then you don't have a lift pump.

if your truck is running good other than when your foot gets real heavy, then more than likely you'll need what Robby05 suggests.

Also I and many others would suggest you getting some kind of gauges and a code checker.
I'll suggest you looking into the Edge Insight CTS or CS, it's several gauges and a code checker/clearer all in one little package.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah there's no lift pump lol. I talked to a diesel mechanic locally and he said it needs a lift pump. He said he has had lots of lmms in lately with the same problem. He said it's most likely injectors going out or a weak cp3. He said a lift pump would help my problems but wouldn't save injectors if they were going out. I'm taking it to him anyways to have a trans go put in so I'll have him hook it up and check balancer rates.

The truck runs flawlessly until I hammer it and it still runs great besides 45-60mph. I'm hoping my injectors aren't too bad, I'm gonna try and run the cleaner through them with the half gallon of diesel and see if my problem still exists.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Also, if you or anyone who owned the truck used a fuel treatment, it is possible that a couple of cap seals may have found their way into the tank.
I still don't see how this happens.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I still don't see how this happens.
It's very easy for the cap seal/gasket to fall into the tank when your not paying close attention.
I refill my containers and had left the seal inside the cap, when I went to put the additive in, it fell in.
I noticed the seal was still stuck on the bottle but it was to late, it went in, but lucky for me it was still in the fill hose.
I didn't put any fuel in, went home removed the fuel hose at the neck and gots the seal out.
It didn't get into the tank, if I went ahead and fueled up it would have been inside.
After that happened I remove all seals that in the caps, before I use them.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I refill a small DK bottle for ease of pouring into the tank as well and have never had the issue. You take the cap off away from the filler mouth, place the cap on the pump, pour in what you want and replace the cap. I don't see why any of that is done right over an open fill hole. That's asking for trouble. Do people also open oil bottles right over the open oil filler?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yes, I always remove the cap not near the filler, this one time the seal just happened to have stuck to the plastic bottle top opening and by the time it clicked that it was stuck on it went in.
This can happen to anyone if they don't remove the seal from the cap and trash it when they re-use containers.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yeah there's no lift pump lol. I talked to a diesel mechanic locally and he said it needs a lift pump. He said he has had lots of lmms in lately with the same problem. He said it's most likely injectors going out or a weak cp3. He said a lift pump would help my problems but wouldn't save injectors if they were going out. I'm taking it to him anyways to have a trans go put in so I'll have him hook it up and check balancer rates.

The truck runs flawlessly until I hammer it and it still runs great besides 45-60mph. I'm hoping my injectors aren't too bad, I'm gonna try and run the cleaner through them with the half gallon of diesel and see if my problem still exists.
If your truck runs flawlessly until you hammer it I don't think your having injector issues.
You just need a lift pump, and don't freak out about running a cleaner.
Just start using a additive every tank, there are many brands that people like.
In my sig is what I'm happy with, using both at a 50/50 mix.
One thing nice about the Edge CTS is you can also check you Balance Rates any time you want.
Below is what to look for and the numbers you want + - 4.0, mine runs + - 1.0.
Usually where you could use a lift pump is if your adding 90+ hp, and you don't know what HP tune your running.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's good, I'm hoping it's not injector issues! I plan to get a lift pump asap and see how it does then. I really don't feel like it's running a real big tune. one of my buddies has a all stock lml and my truck seems to feel a lot lock his. We haven't raced them yet I guess.

I'm planning on getting the lift pump, efi live and a edge cts along with the transgo jr. Then its saving pennies for a suncoast!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You still can't rule out what others mentioned, fuel lines, your local mechanic mentioned a weak cp3 pump. All you can do is start somewhere which installing a lift pump would be a good choice.
Even if it doesn't solve the problem, the extra fuel filteration with adding a lift pump is a good thing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You may want to shim your FPRV (it is your fuel pressure relief valve). It blows of excess fuel pressure so your fuel system isn't compromised if the system spikes too much fuel pressure (rail pressure). Once it opens a few times the spring gets weak. It is located on the drivers side of the engine, between the turbo and the driver's side valve cover area. Its a CHEAP rule out. Go to a lowes or hardware store and by some #4 stainless steel washers. I used .060" worth of washers in mine. Now, I rarely get the 0% fuel filter message going WOT. It made a heck of a difference on my truck, and I even have a lift pump.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I have read a lot about shimming that as well which I plan to do. I guess I forgot to mention that if I'm cruising and punch it sometimes if will bog down for a second or two then it'll come on hard which also makes me think lack of fuel.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.