Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to give a background for my dodge ownership.
my first dodge was a ramvan. not fast, didnt run good, but i made money with it the same. then i bought a 2004 dodge viper truck. loved it, had it two years.
then i bought a dodge diesel megacab, 2006. loved it. in one year i put 100K on it. then gasoline was added to the tank. it didnt run right for 30,000 miles and finally the engine blew.

so here i am. i bought a chevy, 2002 quad cab. leather loaded.
first impressions:
for a 3/4 ton 4wd, it rides great.
it drives straight.
sound is not too quiet, not too loud. i can have a conversation going on inside, and i would say 10Db more quiet then my dodge diesel.
runs good, thou i wish the allison disengaged at traffic lights, as it is too loud at idle with a slight load, i ALWAYS put it into neutral at lights.

i will give a sitrep in a week, as by this time next week i will have towed with it.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Tune it..................It will perform much better and get more mileage to boot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
injectors were done 20,000 miles ago, other was just MISC stuff.
it has a hand held flasher, and is flashed for 55hp.
i am grossing 26,000-36,000# so i cant go any higher.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Now that you are not driving Dodge anymore, GM makes an extended cab and a crew cab, no Quad cabs. :drink

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome to the forum man.

With that lb7 you're going to want the most filtration possible in your fuel system to keep your injectors in check since they're the known weak spot of that series of engine. I would suggest an air dog II 165 for its increased filtration/ water separator, however if this is too far out of budget (understandable lol, they're pricey) then I would suggest going with a nicktane setup at the very least.

Hope the new rig is good for ya :thumb

·
Registered
200 Posts
If your gonna tune it do it right.....EFI LIVE

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not going to tune. the 55hp is in, and going to stay. only mods i want are cooling and air flow. plan to put the turbo intake on. any cooling tips? can i change the fan, or fan clutch for a better one? it there a good place for an electric booster fan? on my 6.5 that was ALWAYS an issue. what is the max safe constant coolant temp? EGT? tranny temp?

·
Banned
5,738 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Don't run that 170 tune unless you want to limp your trans in short order.. just a suggestion.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
just looked it up, that cant be it. it has flames on it, and the top setting is 170HP/
Tuning makes a HUGE diffrence in how your truck is going to perform. Find out who made the tuner and let us know bc some are so poor you don't want to run them. Bad tuning can actually hurt your truck reguardless of power setting......................

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
Yeah...I don't care if it's only a 55HP tune..you need to find out what tuner that is. Your truck might actually run better without it.... no joke.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
just a suggestion get an Air Dog 165 lift pump, it actually separates the air bubbles en-trained in the diesel that many suspect is the reason for some of the injector body failures on the LB7's (air bubble bursting-cavitation), and provides better filtering which some think makes the LB7 sticks last longer, not a bad investment since an injector job usually runs 3k+ , it is my next purchase

Welcome to DF and I hope you have fun with your LB7

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
505 Posts
not going to tune. the 55hp is in, and going to stay. only mods i want are cooling and air flow. plan to put the turbo intake on. any cooling tips? can i change the fan, or fan clutch for a better one? it there a good place for an electric booster fan? on my 6.5 that was ALWAYS an issue. what is the max safe constant coolant temp? EGT? tranny temp?
EFI Live will help with all the heating issues especially the EGT issue.. if that stays down the rest will stay normal.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
get efi live and 5 inch

1 - 20 of 47 Posts