Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to forum - A lot of questions

I'm a first time diesel owner and new to discussions boards in general, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking questions that have already been answered and I just didn't see them.

I purchased a new 05 Chevy Silverado Duramax after my sister and several friends experienced good power and good MPG with the 01 of the same type. I was disappointed with the MPG in comparison to theirs. I'm lucky to get 18 with mostly highway driving and 11 pulling a 10,000# load (horse trailer). I read a discussion in an earlier thread that others experienced the same frustration. I was also told by some mechanic friends that it is the difference between the LLY and the LB7 and that my truck will have more power. I've not experienced that either.

I've talked with a lot of folks about the performance chips and am leaning toward the Diablosport Predator, because others with the same truck have had good experiences with it, cost is more affordable, and I'm just looking for a little boost pulling my trailer, not "high performance." I was going to increase my exhaust later when I have the funds. How important are the pyrometer (EGT) and the 4" exhaust in using the Predator and a 10K# load? Thoughts or input on all the above comments are welcome.

Also, does anyone know about the GlowShift EGT's?

·
Registered
53 Posts
i think an egt is good to have anytime your pulling anything very heavy, especially with a programmer. boost gauge is nice to have also. dieselmanor.com they sell gauge kits with everything you need and good instructions, kennedydiesel.com has good price on most stuff, or check around at some of the other vendors on here.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have had my 05 since it was new and I pull a trailer everyday for my business although it is quite a bit lighter than yours roughly 3500lbs. fully loaded and i average about 11.5 to 12mpg's in the city and and about 15 on the highway. You could probably add about 3mpg's if the truck is unloaded to each of those. Also i would also lean towards the predator although I dont have one I have heard a lot of people that are very pleased with theirs. It also has some nice features like being able to read and clear trouble codes. PPE also has some nice programmers. The exhaust will defintely help lower your EGT's by roughly 150-200 degrees at peak throttle, a pyro would also be good so you can watch if your right foot is getting a little heavy.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i would highly recommend the EGT"n"Boost gauges but if you don't want then thats fine but consider the gauges a cheap insurance on a $30k truck..Programmers,PPE or Diablo.Exhaust,MBRP or Silverline,i wouldn't go anything less then a 409SS but the 304SS would be the best..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts