Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started getting popups on forum pages about cookie and data use consent. I clicked on the "tell me more" link. What I read was disturbing. Essentially it said they would collect anything they could about me and use it in any way they want. I can't accept those terms.

I have really enjoyed this forum but I value my personal data more. This will be my last post and also my last visit to duramaxforum.com.

My wife had to go through the same thing with her social media accounts recently and she grieved over it for a long time. She still misses them. I suppose I will do the same thing but I will only use sites that don't sell me to others.

Goodbye and have a happy new year.

Mizterwizard

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
News to me....haven't seen a thing (pop up notices).
suppose I will do the same thing but I will only use sites that don't sell me to others.
Naive to think that any and every site on the 'net doesn't data mine and market you, whether they pop up and declare it or not.

And it's not just online things. Data mining is and has been the largest growing biz for many years....that no one talks about or discusses.
When you have a popular retailer offer up a 'You're Special Card" (Randall's, Walgreens, O'reillys, Office Max/Depot, etc.), I can guarantee you they are data mining all of your actions and personal info you let them have.

Credit cards.....don't get me started.

Think about it....what's their motivation? If I'm that damn special, just give me the special price. Why a card?
Data storage is expensive. Servers are expensive. What pays that extra overhead expense?

Selling you to others pays those bills, with a tidy profit left over.
And you willingly hand it all over, 'cause "you're Special" :rolleyes:

Blame Larry Ellison.....any and every keystroke on the net is based on Oracle, and has been for decades.

There are ways to limit your exposure and vulnerabilities to others though.

Premium Member
MW, hate to see you go and understand your concern. However, there are things that you can do to protect yourself anywhere on the web. While not perfect, these at least give you a reasonable comfort factor.

If you use Google, i would discontinue use immediately if you have privacy concerns. DuckDuckgo, will allow you to search the web without being tracked. I would also recommend the use of FireFox as an internet browser for the same thing mentioned with the use of Google and FF provides a bit more security. I would also recommend the use of an ad blocker software. I use each of the tools mentioned above and have never seen the ads that you speak of on DM forum.

If neither of these adequately address your privacy concerns, one can simply use Virtual Private Network (VPN) that is the most secure available when using a home computer. There are many options out there for VPN based on your needs and/or price point.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Goog.....among other things, they've turned into a who pays the most, gets mentioned the most and gets moved to the top of the list in response to your queries....it's not the unbiased search engine you desire. If you have an android phone, NEVER turn on Location either.

A bit scary when you start getting suggestions based on your regular locations and the same time of day.....they know where you work, where you live, where you go at any moment, and what for.

And, don't think your Pome device doesn't do the same things too.

Premium Member
JimmyD, going on almost 2 years with what you described
Duck Duck Go, Firefox, and VPN. haven't seen a need for an ad blocker,
but of course if needed I will go that direction too.
Good advice.

Premium Member
Are you going to swear off cell phones and all other smart electronics too? They literally listen to you to target you with ads. Every device you have with a microphone is listening. If your device has the hardware and it has power, it's being used regardless of the "permissions" you allow. Just don't post anything that you wouldn't say over a PA in public. Big brother is watching.

I understand where you're coming from. The day I don't need a smart phone for business, I'll set it down range and put a .308" hole through it. I would happily go back to pre-computer, pre-cell phone, pre-email days if I could.

Premium Member
Goog.....among other things, they've turned into a who pays the most, gets mentioned the most and gets moved to the top of the list in response to your queries....it's not the unbiased search engine you desire. If you have an android phone, NEVER turn on Location either.

A bit scary when you start getting suggestions based on your regular locations and the same time of day.....they know where you work, where you live, where you go at any moment, and what for.

And, don't think your Pome device doesn't do the same things too.
It's not just Android. Your Apple device is also listening regardless of what they tell you. If your device has the hardware, it's on and watching, listening, tracking, regardless of your permissions.

Registered
On your computer, smart device settings, turn off your location.
I don鈥檛 think this forum is selling anything, it鈥檚 the hackers that鈥檚 trying to get ur info and they will if your not paying attention.
I use to get all kinds of strange advertising hacking while I was on the forum.
After I turned off my location in settings, no more.

Premium Member
Well, Wizard I sincerely you can find some compromise or solution that will allow those of us on here who truly VALUE your friendship, opinions and insight to continue to receive same.

But if not, Go With God.......you will be sorely missed!

Registered
I haven't seen any of those pop-ups here, either. Wonder why? But privacy concerns are a big deal to me, too, which is why I clear my computers history and cookies and recent files list so often - like after almost every web site visit, before I move on to a different site. CCleaner is my best friend. I also refuse to have any item in the house that has or uses a microphone. The last time I bought a TV the one I really wanted had a built in mic. The salesman told me I could disable it. Right. I bought the lower tier model that did not have a mic. I use a 5 year old flip phone and have the internet and texting options turned off by the provider and I will resist moving to a "smart" phone until I have absolutely no other choice. If someone gave me an Echo or Alexa type device it would go straight in the trash. I'll be on the lookout now for those pop-ups.

Mizterwizard - - when you clicked on the tell me more button, were there any options to opt out of any of it - - - or was it a we don't care what you think, take it or leave it deal?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
With all of the other responses so far, I'm thinking more and more that MW's incident did not stem from the DF site itself, but from a 3rd party.

I don't think there are any members here who didn't care for MW's input on the different subjects. Hope he's still getting notifications and is inspired to come back and try again.....perhaps using many of the safeguards others have mentioned using.

:neener

Registered
I don鈥檛 understand. Why don鈥檛 you blame Shockley, Turing, Gates, Jobs, or Andreessen?
Oracle isn't anywhere near as responsible as suggested. People gave up their privacy a while ago, and what shocks me about that is how much we've done it to ourselves. The mindset today is everything must be free; software, apps, you name it people expect things for nothing. Take a couple of seconds to think about it though and you come to the realization that the companies behind these products have to earn money some how, so if they don't sell their stuff where does the money come from? Answer, selling us.

The EULA required on every piece of software is supposed to spell out exactly what's involved in using a product, but does anyone read those? Actually the question should be, can anyone read those. They're convoluted, long winded and very difficult to understand. That's deliberate, but if someone does challenge them they can always say "we told you that was going to happen". You have to wonder if it's not time for the Fed's to change the mandate and say something like 5 paragraphs max and in plain English, otherwise it's not legally binding. FWIW, I've actually tired to read some EULA's and I gave up, it's too painful.

But wait, there's more! Now we have things like 'smart' TV's tied into the internet (IoT, or Internet of Things is what they're calling it). Don't forget about Siri and Alexa. What are they storing/sharing about their owners? I can't begin to image why someone would use those services. My Sierra has OnStar spying on me. Every month I get an email telling me all about what my truck is doing, even down to the air pressure in my tires. You can't even opt out of OnStar, something I find unconscionable.

There's no way to protect yourself fully - on your phone or computer - but with some diligence and effort you can at least minimize your exposure. Things like the Brave browser are a good start. Add a few carefully chosen extensions and you tighten things down further. One user suggested DuckDuckGo instead of Google search, and that's a very good option. Little know feature... you can use DDG to search using the google engine without them knowing who you are, like a proxy of sorts.

BTW, I haven't seen those notifications yet. Has anyone but the OP gotten one?

Premium Member
You can't even opt out of OnStar, something I find unconscionable.
Not true, if you cant call OnStar and cancel the subscription simply unplug the shark fin antenna, no more communication with OnStar. No 'dunno;more GPS either though.

Personally I don't pay for OnStar, have NO Siri, No device spying on me (How CREEPY is that! Makes me think of HAL the computer in "2001 a Space Odyssey") and use Firefox mostly when I want to INSURE Im anonymous.

Registered
Not true, if you cant call OnStar and cancel the subscription simply unplug the shark fin antenna, no more communication with OnStar. No 'dunno;more GPS either though.
No more XM as well. I did look into that option but unfortunately the trade-offs were too great for me.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
So much phone streaming sources now available.....makes XM obsolete.
Their underhanded billing practices had me saying 'bite me' long ago. :wink2:

Attachments

Registered
I think a new thread about privacy would be interesting/educational.... this "https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/" is about a new private, secure smart phone...pricey, but VERY interesting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts