Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have noticed from time to time some white/gray smoke and today I was driving my truck for several hours and had it on my tow tune since I was towing a trailer and when I let it sit and idle for a while like 15-20 minutes when I took off I got alot of white and gray smoke. I also notice from time to time in the cab a fairly strong diesel smell. The smell I think could just be due to my stacks but the smoke I was wondering if it was my injectors. I dont think they have ever been replaced and I had them checked a year ago January and they said they were fine.

Also when on my race tune when at WOT right before it shifts it will cut out a little and make a pop pop sound or like a whop whop. I dont think it is getting enough fuel and yesterday I just changed my fuel filter. I think I need a higher rate lift pump, currently I have just a carter 100gph pump.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.........

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
29 views and no responce! Bump

·
Registered
10 Posts
My C 5500 Topkick with a LB7 tears through the fuel when I run it hard, and has never needed a lift pump, as it is vacuum only as it came from the factory, and works fine. When the injectors went out, it did make horrible clouds of oily blue smoke, bad enough that I would have to shut it down at a stoplight, or get the bird. I would be looking at injectors, not a lift pump problem.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I was getting at is that the smoke is from the injectors going bad and that the poping noise is from the lift pump not keeping up on fuel demand.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Did you check your crank case for fuel? Have a white paper towel handy and pull your dipstick and dab it on the paper towel and the fuel will spread faster then the oil will and have a different color ring if there is fuel in your oil. Also check your balance rates with your EFI Live on stock tune installed.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Also you might want to log a few runs and see how well your fuel rail pressure is holding up if its not your CP3 might be getting weak or your pump might not be keeping up enough.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will check on this stuff in morning, as for the EFI Live I have a lot of learning to do with it. I only got my tunes loaded because Mike was on the phone helping me. I need to find someone close that is good with it to show me how to really use it.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Checking the balance rates isn't too hard I could walk you through it if you wanted me too. You just make sure your truck is set on the stock tune, plug everything in open the logging software, choose the LB7 ECM, load your injector balance rate PID's and there is a little green button on the top bar you hit that and then you are good to go and check your injectors.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your help WisconsinHick1. If you dont mind to PM your phone # and when tomorrow would be a good time to call that would be great. I will try and do it myself first but if I get in a bind it would be nice to have someone to call and walk me through it.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Thanks for all your help WisconsinHick1. If you dont mind to PM your phone # and when tomorrow would be a good time to call that would be great. I will try and do it myself first but if I get in a bind it would be nice to have someone to call and walk me through it.
I wont be able to do it tomorrow unless its before 2pm because I work 3pm-11pm. Otherwise this weekend I would be more then willing to help you out. I will be hooking up too my truck to make sure I can be right there with you to walk you through it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks, I probably wont start messing with it until in the afternoon sometime anyways. I have to work on my Dodge in the morning and get it ready to go back to work. I dont know if I will be home this weekend because I work out of state and have no set schedule but if i am still home that would work good.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Ok thanks, I probably wont start messing with it until in the afternoon sometime anyways. I have to work on my Dodge in the morning and get it ready to go back to work. I dont know if I will be home this weekend because I work out of state and have no set schedule but if i am still home that would work good.
Alright sounds good I'll shoot you my phone number just in case you are around. I'll be at a dyno on Saturday from 2-3 but after or before that I'll be able to help you out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts