Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i had my truck in for the low-sulfur furl PCM update the other day and while the tech had my truck plugged in, he mentioned to me that my tire size was not calibrated for into the ABS. this was total news to me. I noticed that my brakes have been "spongy" for a while and asked him about it. He put the correct tire size in and a 300% increase in brake sensitivity. It was like night and day, very similar to replacing the pads. it was great. Has anyone else heard of this?? if not, go in for the update, it was awesome.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I have heard of it. that's what my dealer says they do to program for bigger tires. they fool the system and tell it that they changed one of the abs components. My brakes seem to be good...what size tires did you go to?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have had a set of 285/75-16's on since day 1, and switch back and fourth between my 305/50-20's... the only reason i thought of my brakes not being 100% was that i drove a stock 06 and about locked them up by habit of the force i was using, so i mentioned something to my tech. the brakes are significantly better than before, you should have your calibrated to see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is great info guys!
Just got back from a trip with the cattle trailer and the "spongy" brake issue was my only complanit on the new truck.
Installed 285/70/17 and never even considered the brakes being effected.

Called local Chevy dealer and, theyve never done one before, but he knows it can be done.
Goes in tomorrow and I think the service manager at Bell & Howard Chevy is now a new member :rof

Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!:drink

Eric

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do you guys think the same will work on my 96 1500? its got 35s and flinstone brakes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Runnin To Bunnin did mine for 40" plus did the brakes as well.I got so sick of staring at the ABS light.Some odd tire size later and good to go.We must have played with it for a hour!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
wonder if it would fix the ABS brake pulsing that happens to me right before i come to a complete stop. it feels like a 1 sec delay in braking. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
some of your guys problumes might be sloved by replacing your power strearing fuild. check this thread out.

* side note when i went to 285's and put my PPE on i changed the tire size on it and my ABS light never came on and it works just as well as it did with stock tires. however even with only 285's the overall performance of the brakes is down compared to stock 245's. I believe the Quad has the tire size adjust option as well.*

·
Registered
785 Posts
What is this update you speak of?

·
Registered
785 Posts
2004duramaxLB7, Your problem is probably a bad wheel sensor or tone ring on the bearing. This causes the computer to think you have a wheel locking up and is activating the anti-locks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mor eabout the low sulfur pcm update? I haven't heard of this until now I also have an 05 was wondering if it's something I need to do? Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts