Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the interstate doing about 75 mph in the left lane coming up on a on ramp with a semi and other vehicles behind him trying to get on the interstate. All of a sudden a guy in a Pickup shoot over into the left lane the guy in front of me locks em up I have to do the same slowing down to like 30 mph and looking for an escape path. Once I get rolling again I notice my ABS light is on and it stays on all the way home. I get home and turn off the truck and then turn it back on light is still on. I have a CTS2 so I check for a code there isn't one. Looking for some ideas on how to diagnose the problem.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I didn't think a cts2 could check ebcm/abs dtcs.

Reactions: RickV

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Stop by O'Reilly auto parts store and ask them to find out why the dash light is on. They have nice Biosch Scanners that are very capable machines.

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts
Have you tried locking the brakes up a couple of times on loose gravel? Sometimes it can reset the ABS valve.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been busy and didn't get a chance to reply back.

Went to O'Reilly and they said it was the module.

Went to a garage they checked it with their computer said it was the module too.
They wanted $731 to replace it. No way I'm paying that. I would swap it out myself but, I am on a trip away from home.

Tried the locking up thing no help.

What is the danger of just continuing on with it until I get home. It seems to braking fine.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
If just the amber brake light is on, all you lack is anti-lock brakes. Base brake system will work fine.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Find out what the code is that causes the ABS light to be on. Perhaps in your paperwork from the garage.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If just the amber brake light is on, all you lack is anti-lock brakes. Base brake system will work fine.
That's what I thought. I did some reading and I guess some of the newer systems actually can malfunction if the controller goes bad. I talked to my home mechanic and he said the same thing. Only reason it was an issue in my mind was that I am pulling a 13k 5th wheel RV but, it has brakes too. If I get feeling too uncomfortable while towing I'll just order the part and find somewhere that's not grass or gravel and change it myself. It looks fairly easy to do. I'll just have to pick up some torx sockets.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
That's what I thought. I did some reading and I guess some of the newer systems actually can malfunction if the controller goes bad. I talked to my home mechanic and he said the same thing. Only reason it was an issue in my mind was that I am pulling a 13k 5th wheel RV but, it has brakes too. If I get feeling too uncomfortable while towing I'll just order the part and find somewhere that's not grass or gravel and change it myself. It looks fairly easy to do. I'll just have to pick up some torx sockets.
It’s easy to change as long as the heads of the screws don’t strip out. Then you’ll have to shave the heads off with a chisel. You will need a GM scan tool to set the tire size calibration in the new ebcm as well.

You should be fine to drive it home.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well.... The thing is we are on a extended RV Trip. I live in North Central Florida and at the moment I am in the Rapid City, SD area and will be heading further NW from here. Our plans don't have us getting home until November 1st. Like I said if I get the feeling that it isn't safe I will fix it. I will just be more aware than I already am of my surroundings and drive accordingly.

Reactions: ChevyTech77

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Buy the EBCM that you want at whatever place you want and have a local lmechanic install and program the unit. Be safe. Your brakes are much better lwhen the ABS systems works, LOTS BETTER, especially with a trailer behind you. It's only 1.3 hours of install time for an EBCM.

For my 2008 model:
Parts InformationOEM Part #Price
Electronic Brake Control Module
Control Module Control Module
Without Active Brake Control25802683 $321.89

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard
Electronic Brake Control Module
Replace B 1.1 1.3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts