Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Vendor
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a predicament. Have the digital control head for the HVAC system. With the AC set on 60 degrees on both sides, recirculator on or off doesn't matter, the driver side of the truck blows cold and the passenger side blows hot.

Have an edge tuner that was set on level 4. Have taken it back to stock to see if maybe that was throwing it a curve ball but that wasn't it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
my cousin has same prob. mine will only cool 10 degrees below out side temp when moving & wont cool when stopped we are still working on the prob. Sorry no answer yet, will let u know what we find.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
mine does the same thing but the driver side is hot and passenger is cold but it will work write sometimes ill let u no if i find out

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had this problem....it fixed itself after a day so i cant really help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine did the same thing driver side the first time then a week later the passenger side blows hot air like the heat is on. I found when you turn the truck off and restart, the problem is corrected for a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have posted on the same problem a couple times now. I've researched the hell outta this, and it seems the most common problem is one of the 4 blend door actuators is bad. Some guys have been lucky and it starts working again for them, but for me I needed to replace the actuator. The dealership qoutes around $500 to fix it, or if you do it yourself you can pick one up for $150-$200 at a parts store. By the way, most of my info was from daddysLBZ...all the glory goes to him!

·
Vendor
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have posted on the same problem a couple times now. I've researched the hell outta this, and it seems the most common problem is one of the 4 blend door actuators is bad. Some guys have been lucky and it starts working again for them, but for me I needed to replace the actuator. The dealership qoutes around $500 to fix it, or if you do it yourself you can pick one up for $150-$200 at a parts store. By the way, most of my info was from daddysLBZ...all the glory goes to him!
I figured it might be an damper or something sticking. I will have to tear it apart when I get home this weekend.

Thanks,

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had a couple diff. trucks do this. Sometimes the climate computer will need to be reflashed, I've had one that this fixed. The other one was an actuator. The one way up under the dash. You have to take the whole dash apart, its right up on top of the a/c box by the defroster vents. If you do this yourself a word of advice, when you get to it and put in the new motor(actuator= servo motor) do not turn on the power to see if it is working untill you get it put in and hooked up. It has to be timed(or clocked) for lack of better terms. If you put power to it, it gets out of time and the door still will not work right. Then you will have to get another one. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my 06 had that same think and it was a actuator

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
does anyone know where in the dash the accuator is? mine is messed up too

·
Registered
10 Posts
A/C Blowing Hot/Cold on Driver's/Passenger's Side

I have a '04 and have had this happen several times.

The fix: Shut off the A/C-Heater and leave it off for about 2 minutes.
Restart the A/C with the driver's side on maximum heat and the passenger's side on full cooling. Run it this way for a minute or more.

Shut off the A/C-Heater and leave it off for about 2 minutes.
Restart the A/C with the driver's side on full cooling and the passenger's side on full heat. Run it this way for a minute or more.

Shut off the A/C-Heater for a couple of minutes and restart with normal temperatures and the A/C-Heater should be operating normally.

Not sure exactly why the temperature settings go out of whack, but they seem to reset themselves after the above operation.

Good luck.
Rich

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Mine did this last fall. I disconnected the batteries and held the positive and negative leads together for about 20 seconds to reset the computer. All has been well since. I was told that something in the controls jumps outta sequence and just needs to be reset. Worked for me :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did the stealership charge for the software update?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very interesting about the software update. I have several friends with the same issues.

It might do it today.....maybe not. But in the next month or so it probably will happen again. I guess checking with a dealership is the way to go, but I have heard that many other Silverado and/or Sierra have had major work done like actuators, etc. It sounds to me like it is a sensor device out of sync.

Stay cool/warm!

Rich

·
Vendor
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had same problem dealer said there was a software update. No trouble since update 4 weeks ago.
Very interesting about the software update. I have several friends with the same issues.

It might do it today.....maybe not. But in the next month or so it probably will happen again. I guess checking with a dealership is the way to go, but I have heard that many other Silverado and/or Sierra have had major work done like actuators, etc. It sounds to me like it is a sensor device out of sync.

Stay cool/warm!

Rich
I agree this in interesting. I will have to call the bubba's here and see what they say. Thankfully though the battery disconnect reset everything so I am good for now.

Take care,

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had a couple diff. trucks do this. Sometimes the climate computer will need to be reflashed, I've had one that this fixed. The other one was an actuator. The one way up under the dash. You have to take the whole dash apart, its right up on top of the a/c box by the defroster vents. If you do this yourself a word of advice, when you get to it and put in the new motor(actuator= servo motor) do not turn on the power to see if it is working untill you get it put in and hooked up. It has to be timed(or clocked) for lack of better terms. If you put power to it, it gets out of time and the door still will not work right. Then you will have to get another one. Trust me on this.

Not trying to say I told you so at all but this is just my past experience. As a former car dealer I ran into this frequently with various GM products. My 2 cents worth, just trying to help the next guy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a '04 and have had this happen several times.

The fix: Shut off the A/C-Heater and leave it off for about 2 minutes.
Restart the A/C with the driver's side on maximum heat and the passenger's side on full cooling. Run it this way for a minute or more.

Shut off the A/C-Heater and leave it off for about 2 minutes.
Restart the A/C with the driver's side on full cooling and the passenger's side on full heat. Run it this way for a minute or more.

Shut off the A/C-Heater for a couple of minutes and restart with normal temperatures and the A/C-Heater should be operating normally.

Not sure exactly why the temperature settings go out of whack, but they seem to reset themselves after the above operation.

Good luck.
Rich

This just worked for me yesturday.. This has happened twice, both times after I changed the battery in my truck.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Mine does two different things. Sometimes it will switch to Hot as hell air out of the drivers vents. For that i have to shut the truck off and back on to fix it. Most of the time it will decide the driver needs to be warm for about 60 seconds then switches back to cold. I guess I need to take it to the dealer to see about a re-flash.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts