Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What better time to have ac problems than summer time in texas. 02 lb7 duramax, 250k, bought at 220k very reliable work truck. About a month ago i replaced the ac clutch on the compressor because of noise it had been making for about a year ( if it aint broke dont fix it). Doing so stopped the noise.
This week the ac had been getting warmer over the span off 3 days till finally it stopped working. I noticed there was freon on the high side port and after searching found that this is a common problem on chevy truck with the ball valve desing.(anyone know of an updated design)
My guess is the high side valve let pressure out slowly and since i was working i didnt check till the weekend with the gagues and i think that driving it those 3 days made the compressor go to crap because when i spin the clutch i feel a spot where it drags( will verify by taking it apart tommorow). With the gauges on i got 120 from both the high and low side. I let out some pressure 10 seconds from both sides and sure enough the high side went to zero the low side still sits at 120 which is also very high. Also this gray oily stuff came out of the high pressure side. I would be kicking myself today if i had done the whole ac system a month ago instead of just the ac clutch because of a 5 dollar valve. Now that its broken its time to fix it and im here looking for recommendations on the brand/type of compressor to replace it with. And what all needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
You need a compressor, orifice tube, and condenser minimum. At that age, I would also replace the system service valves and accumulator. The accumulator has a desiccant bag in it and is probably now full of metal (the gray fluid you see). Flush all of the lines out with brake clean and compressed air. Make sure you put an ounce of refrigerant oil in the condenser and accumulator before you put it back together. Also make sure the compressor is shipped with the correct amount of oil. I would only use GM/AC-Delco parts for all of it. I’ve had too many issues with aftermarket compressors and condensers. Make sure you apply vacuum to the system for a good 45 minutes before charging it.

Reactions: BOWTIE67

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information on what needs to be replaced im ordering parts. Question :The compressor im replacing is a four seasons 58931 i looked it up on rock auto and its a ht6 i dont want to order the same one as this one looks fairly new and it had tons of shaving in the orfirice tube. Some of the ones rock auto offers are h6 compressors. The ac delco 89019400 and the delphi cs20011 both show compatible but are h6 compressors. Are they compatible? Anyone have a particular brand part number they installed and worked for long time?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Orfirice tube, reason i dont want to use the same compressor this didnt happen in short time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Thats what mine looked like I changed the condensor, Dryer, and Compressor. I also took my air hose and blew out every line I had while it was apart since some idiot put that green seal crap in there at one time or another. Also changed all the o-rings and flat seals. Careful with the air that green stuff tastes nasty!!! Make sure your put oil in the compressor as well if it doesnt come with any. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts