Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys looking for your advice. I accidentally put 20 ounces of diesel fluid in my DEF tank. This is a brand new truck and I’ve only got 10,000 miles on it and I went to a pump thinking it was DEF but it was actually diesel realized it shortly after. So what do I do now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi guys looking for your advice. I accidentally put 20 ounces of diesel fuel in my DEF tank. This is a brand new truck and I’ve only got 10,000 miles on it and I went to a pump thinking it was DEF but it was actually diesel realized it shortly after. So what do I do now?
Also is there a filter in that tank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only ran it a few miles to get home and now have drained / sucked all the fluid out. Put 6 Fresh gallons of def back in and re sucked and it came out clear so I think we got 99% of the fuel out. Good thing is the truck didn’t go into regin mode so it shouldn’t have sucked any thru the system? (Hopefully??)

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I only ran it a few miles to get home and now have drained / sucked all the fluid out. Put 6 Fresh gallons of def back in and re sucked and it came out clear so I think we got 99% of the fuel out. Good thing is the truck didn’t go into regin mode so it shouldn’t have sucked any thru the system? (Hopefully??)
Didn't think the def fluid was used during a regen only diesel from injector 9 for high heat burn off
'dunno;

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh boy....hopefully I’m correct on this one? Either way If it did draw some DEF fluid hoping that the diesel fuel never made it through the system due to the fact like what Johnny said it lays on the very top of the fluid column.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The DEF is fed all the time the truck is running. But if the DEF tank was over 1/2 full you may not have gotten into the system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh boy....hopefully I’m correct on this one? Either way If it did draw some DEF fluid hoping that the diesel fuel never made it through the system due to the fact like what Johnny said it lays on the very top of the fluid column.
Sounds like yer good.... let us know. I've had/herd of guys doing this @ work but it was opposite. The guys put like 15 gallons of DEF into the Diesel tank (dont ask me because No I have no idea where we hire these kids from lol) but anyway, we were able to just drain out the tank (38gal of diesel) right on the spot, and we had zero issues. Hope your good too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Def is used all the time not just during regen, I’m surprised that you didnt get a def poor quality message, since you didnt get one of those, you should be fine. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thankfully all is performing well and have not had any issues. Put 1200 miles on and she runs good!! The thing that saved me is getting it drained right away and that the diesel fuel is lighter so it stayed on the very top of the tank and didn’t get pumped thru the system. 🤞

·
Registered
9 Posts
How did you get the fluid out? Is it as simple as running a line down the filler tube and pumping it out? I had read that earlier trucks had a check flapper, or ball that stopped you from using a siphon or pump.

I drive mine very little, so have been thinking of draining, and refilling the tank with fresh fluid. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had to drop the tank and suction out all fluid - then refill with fresh DeF. You are correct and not able to go down filler tube b/c of check valves.

·
Banned
11 Posts
It defiantly did pull some in. I would get it towed to a gmc dealer ASAP bro. Don’t start it or the diesel could rupture the emissions system and you would be looking at at least 4 grand for a full def system replacement.

·
Banned
11 Posts
I’ve seen this happen and it takes a few days but the diesel will eat through the gaskets in the emmisions system and ruin the flow meter like you wouldn’t believe

·
Banned
11 Posts
Just tell your wife you fucked up and need 7 grand to do a full delete. You will thank me later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had to drop the tank and suction out all fluid - then refill with fresh DeF. You are correct and not able to go down filler tube b/c of check valves.
I went out and gave it a try today, I got a line down into the fluid and sucked out 3 gallons. 3/8 inch tubing that I cut the end at a 45. The first try I had it cut square. It would not go in far enough. Thanks

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Why would the filler tube have check valves? It has a cap on it so what purpose would the ck valves serve? When I fill my tank I can hear it gurgle all the way up till it is full.
Guess filler ports on opposite sides wasn't such a bad idea

1 - 17 of 17 Posts