Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried putting pure acetone in with your fuel for better fuel mileage. My dad has been reading about it on line and reports are good even for diesels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Not an expert but seems like acetone would dry out your seals and screw up injectors.
ditto...its harsh stuff...

but then again...ever take a wiff of some power service:rof lol i could probably use that to do more then just remove nail polish

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I read that article last year...In fact it was even covered on Myth Busters with not making a difference. With that said, I've been using it in my gas econo-box (Ford Focus) It has increased fuel mileage approx 10%. I've been using 1oz per 5 gallons of gas. Best price and the highest quality of 100% acetone can be purchased at Sally's Beauty supply. I haven't tried in on the DMAX....

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you look at GASOLINE additives made by Berryman you will find they contain Acetone. The article you referenced seems to me to refer to gasoline powered vehicles. I have used the Berryman additives and have noted no increased fuel economy. I have not attempted to doctor my own gasoline with pure acetone.

I would say this would not work well in a diesel powered vehicle. There are a number of reasons for this. I, like one of the others that answered, believe you would destroy your seals and injectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts