Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having turbo issues with my LLY. I decided to replace the vane position sensor, and the boost solenoid ( actuator). The vane position sensor was no problem, on to the boost solenoid..

I had trouble getting the bolt out that holds the bracket and solenoid in place. I finally got it out, removed the bracket, and tried to remove the solenoid, it was kind of rusted to the turbo, so I tapped it lightly a few times with a hammer. It moved, so then I wiggled it back and forth a few times with my hand, tried to pull it out, and the body of it broke right off, Some of the guts came out, but the whole part with all the o-rings and screen are still in the turbo.

I tried grabbing on to it with a pick and pulling it out, but it seems to be stuck in there pretty good.

I googled it and found nothing. Has anyone had this happen before? Any ideas about how to get the rest of the actuator out?

I'm stumped.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Apply vibration with an air hammer and see if it loosens enough to remove. Amazing what those will dol Pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. Or maybe hammer drill if you have one of those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got it out. I had to do some ******* engineering, which is tough for a yankee..... but I bent a piece of wire 90degrees, welded a nut and washer on the end, attached some vice grips and beat on them with a hammer. the wire kept popping out of the hole, so i pounded an ezout into the solenoid to hold it in place, and then beat on the vice grips some more, and it finally popped out, all in one piece, luckily.

I applied alot of atf/acetone homemade penetrant every half hour or so all morning as well.

The solenoid still didnt solve my turbo issues though, unfortunately....
Road surface Plant Asphalt Automotive tire Tar

1 - 6 of 6 Posts