Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum and diesels as well. I love this place! Just bought an 02 GMC 2500HD Crewcab/Shortbed Duramax. It has 136,000 miles.

As we speak it is at the dealer getting 8 new injectors and a new fuel pressure regulator.

I would like to keep these new injectors running clean/good for as long as possible. I have been reading a few threads and it seems like AD II is the way to go for maximum fuel system protection and filtration. At this point I don't have the coin to get the kit. During my searches I also stumbled upon the Nicktane filter adapter system that lets you put a CAT filter on which also seems to be better than the stock fuel filter.

I will probably have the money in a few months (tax time) for an AD II kit. My question being, will I be "good" running the stock fuel filter for a few months til I get the Ad II system? Or, in the mean time would you guys recommend getting the Nicktane kit or just keep going with the stock fuel filtration system?

I also have a case of Stanadyne waiting for her when she gets out of the shop.

Thanks in advance for any help - Matt

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
I would say with an additive added every fill up and a new under the hood filter, you should be good until you get the flo.. unless you drive like 20K every month.

·
I Sell Fireworks!
361 Posts
IMO you could definitely just run stock filter with an additive like Stanadyne until you get the $$$ for the ADII.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
i'd run the nicktane in the meantime with a good fuel additive and you should be fine for a while man. These cat filters are no joke.

Btw, major props for doing so much research. like seriously.. F yeah man! We will get along just fine i think :drink

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
thats the exact same set up i have in mine.

got my AD 165 finally wrapped up thursday night after work and the Nicktane kit came in the mail today, going on tomorrow somewhere in between football games :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nicktane filter adapter kit and O-ring/rebuild kit are ordered. Hopefully they will be in before I get my truck back from the shop so I can start with fresh/clean fuel first thing with my new injectors. Also a bonus for me, I found a CAT dealer near my work. The CAT filters I need are $10.50 out the door! With that price on filters, the kit will pay for itself in no time.

Thanks for everybody's help. - Matt

·
Registered
568 Posts
Does the nicktane kit just adapt it so you can use a bigger cat filter in same place as stock filter?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Sub'd... I'll be running the same set up I. A little over a month when I get my new Injectors

Sent from my phone

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Does the nicktane kit just adapt it so you can use a bigger cat filter in same place as stock filter?
yes it's a screw on adapter that allows you to run the cat filters which filter more efficiently. You can either run a 2 micron or 1 micron with the nicktane adapter. If you choose the 1 micron you also have to space the housing out from the firewall since its a little wider iirc..

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Okay I'm sorry I've always wanted to ask... What the %&@) is iirc??

Sent from my phone

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
If I Recall Correctly :)

somewhere on the main page is a list of all the lil acronyms guys use on here. i had to look it up myself
Hahaha okay thanks! I've wondered but I never wanted to ask. Lol.

Sent from my phone

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Oh yea, I forgot to mention. I got the spacer kit too. I went with the one from Merchant though, b/c it comes with the bolts. I doesn't look like the one from Nicktane comes with bolts (but I could be wrong). Don't like the look of adding 69 washers to space it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This will be my next mod and I was wondering should I save up and get both the nicktane and ADII or should I just replace the stock filter regularly and get the ADII. My truck currently has 125k and I want to get the most out of it with regards to lifespan and reliability.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
what engine do you have? If you have an lb7 then i'd go for both personally, because the more filtration the better when dealing with your injectors. If not, then you'll be just fine with the air dog II 165 and stock filter

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry I have an LB7. I was leaning towards both but wanted to see what others thoughts were. Thanks.

·
Banned
477 Posts
Nictane set ups are nice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Which setup do I need? I am assuming you are talking about this product, correct? But one is just an adapter and the other is the whole setup, with a 100 dollar price difference. Do I just need the adapter and filter for my lb7, or do I need the whole kit? Thanks in advance, I just don't want to buy anything that I don't need. This forum is very helpful and saves a lot of time and money.

Filter Adapter
NTD

Filter Aux Kit
NTD

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I run the nicktane filter, and a FASS without the filters.

If anything, i would just buy a stand alone lift pump; such as a raptor, or fass. The filters on the A.D. are 2 micron IIRC, and so is the cat filter, though the replacement cat filter is about 5-10$ instead of 20-25$; and can be bought locally.

Besides that, I'm planning on putting a serviceable inline fuel/water separator on at some point.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
i run both, rather be too safe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts