Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost positive that my 05 LLY is leaking coolant from the adapter plate between the engine and trans. I have done a lot of searching and found some conflicting information. All agree that the tranny and flywheel have to come out, (and in my case transfer case too) but from there I've seen people say only the bottom part of the oil pan, while others so the front diff has to come out so that the upper part of the oil pan can be removed as well. Which is correct? I'm also reading that there is an oil line to the turbo somewhere up on top that is attached to the adapter plate. I can't even see it I don't think, so how or when is that supposed to come off? Also any links to a DIY type write up or some pics? I'm trying to gather all of the gaskets etc that I will need before I tear it apart, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
The little rectangle cover on the side of the plate? Just a simple gasket there. Don't have to pull too much off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The little rectangle cover on the side of the plate? Just a simple gasket there. Don't have to pull too much off.
No, I don't think it's that plate. This coolant all seems to be coming from in between the bell housing and plate. I'm referring to the 1" or so adapter plate that bolts in place between the trans and engine.

I towed about 9000 lbs yesterday for 4 or so hours, tranny never got hot (190 ish) engine ran right at 210 pretty much the entire time way, outside air temps were in the upper 80's. When I got to the house, I had a nice little bit of coolant leaking out there, probably about half the res. bottle is gone give or take. I couldn't duplicate it last night after letting things cool down.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I blew the seal where I am talking and it was a very steady stream and drained the majority of the coolant within 10-15 min of idling.

The port I'm talking about it on the plate you are referring to

Might want to check it and make sure, it is kinda hard to see with the downpipe and up pipe in the way.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I had coolant leaking in that area after doing my turbo swap. Turned out to be a coolant line going to the turbo. It was tucked down in there purty good to the right of the turbo and hard to find. Not likely but could be your problem, I'd at least rule it out before pulling the trans

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
So what came out of this....I am tracking down a very slight leak and Im basically coming to the conclusion I may have this leak also. Ruled out for sure are: water pump, heater hoses, block heater and turbo feed/return hoses. The small plate on the right rear of the block looks to be dry from all accounts. The two areas I cant rule out are where the bottom of the turbo feed hose is and this "area" I have read about between motor and trans. Any pics of this would be super....PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sent you a pm earlier about your question, but I have a question. What did you do to rule out the turbo feed/return hoses? One of the feed/return hoses has a short rubber section that is difficult to see unless you know right where to look, or have some of the intake components taken off. I thought I had ruled mine out as well, because I couldn't see a tear or hole, and I never saw the hose being wet. Turned out it was one of those and it was so hot up there that typically it would dry the hose and never present itself as wet. Once I changed it out, it was obvious that it was leaking and the rubber was badly deteriorated. Haven't had the problem since. Worth noting that it was manifesting itself as a leak down the back of the block/leak out of the bell housing/ leak by the oil filter adapter. It was none of these things. Just a $3.27 chunk of hose.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thread hyjack, but mine, too, is leaking here. Found a crack along the adapter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well I know this is an old thread but I've got this issue now too. Started today went I went out to leave to take a 5th wheel to California. Had ran it pretty hard yesterday pulling it across IA and NE trying to get away of the tornado watches and dodging hail storms. Anyways, made it home last night and set out to CA and a big leak was under my truck. It looks like the drivers side as it is coming down the side of the block and dripping off the oil filter adapter. I see it from the bottom and it goes up but I can't see how far. Upper motor area. I checked on top but still hard to see.

Took it to Tony's Performance this morning and said he thinks it's the adapter plate because there are those coolant passages. I'm not sure because it comes from higher up from what I "think I see and feel".

I also "think" I see it wet along the top edge driver side between intake and head area along the edge about 3-4 inches. I just can't tell, too much stuff in there.

Would the adapter plate leak from that high up?
Something else up that way? I checked my upper radiator hose before I started it and it felt fine.

Thanks
Mike

·
ROLLING COAL IS THE LIFE
4 Posts
Reply please?

I was reading along with a truck and same problems... Wish people would reply if they had same issues and or solution's?? thank you!!:cookoo[1]:

·
#SecretSquirrel
2,000 Posts
Ditto, always nice to know the outcome

·
Registered
3 Posts
so here at work we have a 2003 2500HD that overheated on the road and was towed back to our shop. i decided to first change the thermostats. when filling the block i noticed coolant started dripping down on the floor near the right rear of the engine. i checked with the google gods and found out about the small plate above the starter. pulled the inner fender and found it to be leaking. its a real bitch to get to ( if anyone needs my tips on that repair, just ask) but i eventually got it resealed. went to filling the block again and another drip, this time way less amount. the area around my repair was dry so i started looking for another leak i cant see anything coming from the top at all. only coming out the seam of engine/adapter plate so looks like i may be pulling a trans as the o-ring(s) between may have gone bad :-( im going to do one more good inspection on top as ive read of turbo coolant hoses causing a similar scenario any advice is appreciated as im brand new here guys. also i will follow up on what i find out as i know that is very helpful for others

·
Registered
3 Posts
well guys checking back to update didnt work on the truck for a while as i had contacted 'the Rona' and was put on more pressing projects as it turned out the adapter plate is not only cracked but broken in pieces upon removal. when removing the trans i found a trans mount that was completely broke in two pieces, and im thinking the adapter plate broke because of this. too much stress on the bell housing. we have decided to fix the truck as part cost is minimal, mostly labor and thats on me lol hope this helps guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts