Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how hard is it to do? will it help hold more weight? how much do they cost? the rv.net says i should have a dually to pull my camper so will adding a 1leaf help? or what

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
how hard is it to do? will it help hold more weight? how much do they cost? the rv.net says i should have a dually to pull my camper so will adding a 1leaf help? or what
I installed them on mine, and it is not all that hard. If I remember correctly it was like $90.00. Worst part is getting that heavy factory leaf pack out from under the truck, and into the vise. As far a how mush more weight caring capacity, most add-a-leafs "according to the place I bought mine from" only add like 6-800lbs. I added it cause with my truck leveled out, when I hitched up the camper the back looked like it was sagging. Now with the extra leaf, I sit 2" high unloaded, and 1" higher in the rear when loaded. Some say it gives a horrible ride, but mine rides just fine.

Still if I was you, I would do a Airbag. If I get a bigger 5th wheel down the road, I will add airbags, but still keep the add-a-leaf.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think i am getting bags but i was seeing what adding a leaf will do! thank you jim i joined a rv forum to ask and they are sayign i should get a dually when i know 2500 have towed much more than i am towing

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im going to but i was wondering if a leaf would help to

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I 2 vote air bag!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol i am getting air bags im just wondering if the add a leaf will work to

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Seeing you do not haul you 5th wheel all over the country, your 2500hd with Airbags will do it just fine. In a perfect world, you would have a 3500dually for towing your camper, and a 2500hd for play. I am sure you are like me and can not afford to live in the perfect world, so make do with what you got.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol we tried getting a new lmm dually but they turned us down because we had to many miles on our dmax they asked us how we got that many on there so fast? cause we tow all over lol like what is a truck made for?? its cause it was leased that we couldnt get the dually
but i love my truck wouldnt have it any other way!! and we have towed it all over the country just one time a summer tho but still it is all over!

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
lol we tried getting a new lmm dually but they turned us down because we had to many miles on our dmax they asked us how we got that many on there so fast? cause we tow all over lol like what is a truck made for?? its cause it was leased that we couldnt get the dually
but i love my truck wouldnt have it any other way!! and we have towed it all over the country just one time a summer tho but still it is all over!
:booboo did not think you were the long distant haulers. Well I guess I can not believe you have not got airbags already:D I could not see hauling that camper with the AZZ dragging for a long distance. I tried it once with my camper, but hooked to my old 1/2ton and it just did not feel safe at all. On a side not you get to see all the pretty airplanes up in the sky.

How many miles you got on it:confused:

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha on the truck? there is 129k haha we dont tow all over but we have been to south dakota wyoming virginia flordia about 5 times tennesee lol i really didnt pay attention to the sag till i got my drivers license and i started driving the truck..it doesnt tow bad at all it doesnt sway but now i watch it go down and down when i put camper on makes me wants bags more and more

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with most others - adding a leaf will not do anything that the airbags won't already do. It would be an unnecessary hassle and expense in my opinion without adding any load carrying capacity over the bags.

FYI, by adding the bags your "weakest link" on carrying capacity will be the axle rating and tire rating. The airbag will offload the springs so they won't be near capacity. My '08 rear axle rating is 6900 lbs - yours is probably the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts