Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Added a 12V outlet to my 2024 Silverado 2500HD

664 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Shimmy830
I installed a 12V outlet in my 2024, Silverado 2500HD. I pull a travel trailer, and I use an RV Garmin that is powered by 12Volts.
It was a fairly easy install once I figured out the best location for my application; under the radio. I considered installing it in the console, but, given the new location for the cell phone charger, I decided against it.

As for parts, I ordered the following GM parts:
  1. Receptacle - Part # 25774623
  2. Retainer - 84166962
I used 12 gauge wire, standard connectors and a in-line fuse.

The positive electrical connection was made at the drivers side fuse panel. Unlike the passenger side, it had several open circuits. The negative connection was made at one of the bolts under the steering wheel.

To remove the dash piece, follow the following steps:
  1. On the drivers side, remove the trim piece that cover the driver side fuse panel
  2. Remove the 7mm bolt on the center lower dash piece
  3. Remover the console top side piece, these are silver on my truck
  4. On the passenger side, open the glove box
  5. Remove the console top side piece (the silver piece)
  6. Then, starting at the lower section by the glove box, gently remove the trim piece working your way over to the drivers side.
Once the piece is free, carefully drill a 1 inch hole in the trim piece. The hole needs to be about 27mm so, I used a round grinding bit to carefully get the hole the right size. Then using a file, I made a notch in the center top of the hole, it you get it right, the cover will be aligned correctly.

There was no need to remove or losen the console lower trim pieces.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Rim

Rectangle Electric blue Wood Circle Pattern
Material property Electronic device Rectangle Brickwork Composite material
Camera lens Sleeve Bumper Grey Finger
Circuit component Passive circuit component Machine Auto part Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Steering part Automotive design
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Gear shift
Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Hood Steering wheel
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel
Electrical wiring Gas Motor vehicle Electronic engineering Audio equipment
See less See more
  • Love
Reactions: 5
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Looks fantastic. Nice write up on how to do it.
They dont come factory anymore? My 18 has 2 in cab and i added some in camper shell.
We have a Dometic refer/cooler that we use when traveling. Our Grand Cherokee has a 12V outlet in the cargo area that can be Batt +, and it works out great. If my '24 doesn't have any I guess I will be looking into this. Go figure.
We have a Dometic refer/cooler that we use when traveling. Our Grand Cherokee has a 12V outlet in the cargo area that can be Batt +, and it worls out great. If my '24 doesn't have any I guess I will be looking into this. Go figure.
I wrote chevrolet and recommended that if it wont be standard it should at least be an option. I also wrote that they obviously did not talk to anyone who pulls an RV when deciding to remove the 12V outlet. I find this ironic given that every 2500 commercial shows it pulling an RV.
Reactions: 3
I installed a 12V outlet in my 2024, Silverado 2500HD. I pull a travel trailer, and I use an RV Garmin that is powered by 12Volts.
It was a fairly easy install once I figured out the best location for my application; under the radio. I considered installing it in the console, but, given the new location for the cell phone charger, I decided against it.

As for parts, I ordered the following GM parts:
  1. Receptacle - Part # 25774623
  2. Retainer - 84166962
I used 12 gauge wire, standard connectors and a in-line fuse.

The positive electrical connection was made at the drivers side fuse panel. Unlike the passenger side, it had several open circuits. The negative connection was made at one of the bolts under the steering wheel.

To remove the dash piece, follow the following steps:
  1. On the drivers side, remove the trim piece that cover the driver side fuse panel
  2. Remove the 7mm bolt on the center lower dash piece
  3. Remover the console top side piece, these are silver on my truck
  4. On the passenger side, open the glove box
  5. Remove the console top side piece (the silver piece)
  6. Then, starting at the lower section by the glove box, gently remove the trim piece working your way over to the drivers side.
Once the piece is free, carefully drill a 1 inch hole in the trim piece. The hole needs to be about 27mm so, I used a round grinding bit to carefully get the hole the right size. Then using a file, I made a notch in the center top of the hole, it you get it right, the cover will be aligned correctly.

There was no need to remove or losen the console lower trim pieces.

View attachment 1116593

View attachment 1116594 View attachment 1116595 View attachment 1116596 View attachment 1116597 View attachment 1116598 View attachment 1116599 View attachment 1116600 View attachment 1116601 View attachment 1116602
Looks terrific! It's so silly that this has to be retrofitted.

This isn't like the 3.5mm headphone jack being eliminated from phones, or 3.5" floppy drives being eliminated from computers, because the 12V outlet is not even close to obsolete. Given that 12V outlets at 20A can supply approximately 240w of power, the only potential replacement is 48V USB-C (which can also supply 240w), but these interfaces are in their infancy and are not in the current generation of GM HD trucks. Furthermore, the physical USB-C connector is smaller and hence much more fragile than the 12V socket, which makes it unsuitable for plugging in things like air compressors and other accessories whose cords may get yanked while in use.

I'd be in favor of a more physically robust 12V connector (I like the ones used for battery tenders), but until such a standard exists and is built into new vehicles, I say long live the 12V socket.
I have a 2020 3500 with one on the dash and on on the back of the center seat for the passenger section. A bit surprising they don't have any in the 2024.
Are the only power ports the 2 USB's on the right? Perhaps GM is planning on selling 12v-USB adapters as an add on.
There are USB and a 120V outlet in the console and USB only at the back of the console for the back seat
This a great write up. Thanks for sharing.
I can't believe that GM has thought loosing a 12v power source that's been used for so many years is now obsolete.
Reactions: 1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts