Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm still learning my truck, but one thing I'm missing is a way to simply listen to my music through my phone in the truck. I'm not really sure what to get. I've seen these: https://www.discountcarstereo.com/aux-gm1.html
iSimple ISGM655 Premiuhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B54SJIK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ymv2DbBW9NCS2

Not really sure what I need exactly. I dont need anything really fancy. I dont want to go digging into the truck just to break something. Any suggestions?

Attachments

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Do you have the XM option?
There's the main dash radio you see, and the XM module is over towards the glove box area and has a large harness that connects on the back of the dash radio.

The iSimple kit Tees into that XM harness, and provides a variety of inputs; RCA, 1/8 mini, full data USB, BT, and a hands free phone setup with aux mic. Steering wheel controls work it all, and when you cycle thru tuner/XM/etc., it appears on the radio as another selection.

However, if you're proficient at soldering, it is possible to tap into the XM harness wires and install your own 1/8 plug, for 'bout $10 total.

Audio, you MUST solder these connections for it to work. You select XM on the dash, and since you don't have a subscription, only channel 1 & 0 will display.
Ch 1 is a continuous audio ad for their service, while Ch 0 displays radio ID with no audio track.

This^ (Ch 0) is what you want to tune to for your own aux input signal. It will work on Ch 1, but you'll have the bleed over ad audio, while Ch 0 is silent, just you.

Reactions: jdwarren

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the XM option?
There's the main dash radio you see, and the XM module is over towards the glove box area and has a large harness that connects on the back of the dash radio.

The iSimple kit Tees into that XM harness, and provides a variety of inputs; RCA, 1/8 mini, full data USB, BT, and a hands free phone setup with aux mic. Steering wheel controls work it all, and when you cycle thru tuner/XM/etc., it appears on the radio as another selection.

However, if you're proficient at soldering, it is possible to tap into the XM harness wires and install your own 1/8 plug, for 'bout $10 total.

Audio, you MUST solder these connections for it to work. You select XM on the dash, and since you don't have a subscription, only channel 1 & 0 will display.
Ch 1 is a continuous audio ad for their service, while Ch 0 displays radio ID with no audio track.

This^ (Ch 0) is what you want to tune to for your own aux input signal. It will work on Ch 1, but you'll have the bleed over ad audio, while Ch 0 is silent, just you.
It does not have XM from what I can tell without taking out the radio.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
If you did, you'd have the antenna on the roof.

Later models, the XM and the On-Star was combined into one shark fin. Yours, they were two different antennas, one on the driver's side (fin) and another on the pass side (square?).

Not sure on other methods, but I would stay away from the FM type that Tee into the antenna feed. You won't be satisfied with the quality of the signal....unless you're a fan of weak AM signal listening.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
bummer...
Meh, not really.

Years ago, I had quickly grown tired of all of the scam tactics and cost for XM but also hated the continuous iHeart re-tune to the same song every 6 miles with FM.

So, I bought the iSimple kit to install, and then got delayed with other things, so it sat....waiting. My plan was to stream from the phone in the remote regions I traveled.

Sounds good, right?
Problem is, I realized that most of that area where I couldn't get a radio signal, so too was there limited phone service. Limited = text, no talk...and certainly no web access. 'dunno;

Years later, with the improvement of ear bud tech, I find those more desirable than the Bose system. They're noise canceling (truck road noise is non-existent), sound FAR better, and the networks have grown as the population has grown and the apps for music are endless now.

So I run with the buds most times now, it's just easier.
And mowing the lawn on the Rider with 'em.....brings a whole new level of enjoyment, not taught at the Hank Hill School of Lawn Care. :nerd:

However, since it's going to be great weather (80s) thru T-day weekend, I've been considering delving into the kit and install it.....finally. :rofl

I'll probably wind up doing some trailer wiring stuff instead. :teehee

Registered
My isimple kit lasted 6 months before it went on the fritz. Messed with all the electronics: doors, locks, windows, seats, gauges...tore it out and threw it away.

Im not a super stereo savvy person, so i just use a bluetooth fm transmitter, good nuff for me.

Registered
Bluetooth fm for sure. What I use. Amazon has dozens of them for under 30 bucks

Registered
Bluetooth fm for sure. What I use. Amazon has dozens of them for under 30 bucks
What he said! There are plenty of good options down this road.

Registered
don't waste your time with a FM transmitter

I would do something along these lines. I have had something similar in my LBZ for the last 8 years and haven't had any issues.
https://www.amazon.com/PAC-AAI-GM9-Auxiliary-Input-9-PIN/dp/B001EAWOE0/ref=asc_df_B001EAWOE0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309807586683&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15912846006217767310&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011071&hvtargid=pla-568898816362&psc=1

Then after you have an aux port, what I did was install this bluetooth kit and run the wires behind the trim, it looks pretty clean and functions great
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NLTW60/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts