Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added a factory remote starter kit to a 07.5-10 LMM? I have an 07.5 LMM LT and want remote start but to keep the factory remote. Anyone got any ideas?

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
can be done, have it on my truck now. Do it at work all the time

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can be done, have it on my truck now. Do it at work all the time
Any info you would like to share? I could probably do it on my own. Just need to know where I could get a kit from.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Has anyone added a factory remote starter kit to a 07.5-10 LMM? I have an 07.5 LMM LT and want remote start but to keep the factory remote. Anyone got any ideas?
The G.M.dealer can do it. I had mine done after I bought it. Uses proper gm remote control for locks etc.It's not really expensive either.

·
Registered
566 Posts
But the factory remote only runs 10 min then shuts off unless you press restart. Even then it only runs 20 min max. then you have to put the key in it. Not a great range either.

But it is nice to have it from the factory.

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
yeah just pm me your number and i will call you tomorrow with info

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I asked the dealer about adding the remote start and keyless entry (mine didnt come with either :rolleyes: ) and they said I couldn't add it, because according to my VIN the truck doesn't have the right sensor or something installed? :mad:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
But the factory remote only runs 10 min then shuts off unless you press restart. Even then it only runs 20 min max. then you have to put the key in it. Not a great range either.

But it is nice to have it from the factory.
hold the remote to your chin and you can get the length of a football field!

works with any remote

·
Registered
13 Posts
Or...... Look into Viper smart start. If you have an Iphone or BB (which is probly most people here) you can start/lock/unlock your truck from anywhere with a cell signal. Best Buy quoted me 550 out the door on my LMM. Also with this you can set the run times and leave the truck running if you make quick stops and what not. This mod is very high on my wish list... right behind a tuner.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Or...... Look into Viper smart start. If you have an Iphone or BB (which is probly most people here) you can start/lock/unlock your truck from anywhere with a cell signal. Best Buy quoted me 550 out the door on my LMM. Also with this you can set the run times and leave the truck running if you make quick stops and what not. This mod is very high on my wish list... right behind a tuner.
that sounds pretty slick. might have to look into it

·
Registered
681 Posts
does anyone know what the install is like on a remote start, i really would love to have one on my truck since i leave for work at about 530 am every day. it would allow me to let her warm up while i have my coffee instead of sitting in the truck fezzing waiting to drive

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
after market are easy, follow the instructions and your golden

constant power
switched power
glow plug wire
starter wire has to be cut and each end of the cut wire goes to each end of the starter control module
parking lights
door locks

I can install one in about 4 hours but that's because I solder all my connections, butt splice everything 2 hours butt I dont recommend that route

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
after market are easy, follow the instructions and your golden

constant power
switched power
glow plug wire
starter wire has to be cut and each end of the cut wire goes to each end of the starter control module
parking lights
door locks

I can install one in about 4 hours but that's because I solder all my connections, butt splice everything 2 hours butt I dont recommend that route
There are some after market ones that there is not cutting or spliceing. all you do is unplug the main harness at the steering column and plug into the starter module and your done.

·
Registered
681 Posts
you seem to know all of the goods, what route do you recommend i take?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Best Buy quoted me 550 out the door on my LMM. .
That' s for JUST the smart start module, assuming you already have a viper remote start. You would still have to buy the viper alarm/remote start for it to work

·
Registered
13 Posts
That' s for JUST the smart start module, assuming you already have a viper remote start. You would still have to buy the viper alarm/remote start for it to work
Negative that's w remote start and smart start. Alarm not included. Trust me I've done my research on this. Also wiring remote start is not as cut and dry as some seem to think. On, I think, '04 and newer any aftermarket remote requires a bypass module because of the antitheft systems already in place. Not to mention viper will not warranty their products unless it's installed by a certified tech I.e. Best buy.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Not looking to hijack the op question but since I have an OBS a factory based remote start is out of the question for me. Are the viper systems a quality unit and is the smart start worth it? Oh I did look into it, there is a charge to be able to use the smart start, $49 for one year and $99 for 3 years.

·
Administrator
17,013 Posts
Not looking to hijack the op question but since I have an OBS a factory based remote start is out of the question for me. Are the viper systems a quality unit and is the smart start worth it? Oh I did look into it, there is a charge to be able to use the smart start, $49 for one year and $99 for 3 years.
I've owned a lot of DEI products and have been very happy with them, if I buy an aftermarket alarm it will be a DEI Product. (IE: Python, Viper, etc..)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just bought the Python 991 for my truck. It was $499 or higher from DEI. I got it from Amazon for $208.

Then I had to buy the bypass module XK09 from DEI. It was around $50 and they programmed it for my truck.

If anyone has the wiring diagram for a 2006 GMC - please send it to me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts