Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey DF, Customer came to me today in efforts to tr and figure out a way to add steering wheel controls on his dad's LML for his B-Day...I know the dealer has purchasable options such as the fog lights. But was wondering has anyone heard of a kit like this, do the buttons snap on? is the whole steering wheel replaced, are the radios different? Thanks Alec

2013 GMC 2500

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Subd

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Hey DF, Customer came to me today in efforts to tr and figure out a way to add steering wheel controls on his dad's LML for his B-Day...I know the dealer has purchasable options such as the fog lights. But was wondering has anyone heard of a kit like this, do the buttons snap on? is the whole steering wheel replaced, are the radios different? Thanks Alec

2013 GMC 2500
Any luck with this? I have 2) 08 WT's I want to retrofit factory steering wheel controls to.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey blowermax I am probably missing the point here. Are you talking about an interface that lets you hook up an aftermarket stereo and have it work with your already installed factory steering wheel controls...

BTW I live in San Dimas, worked out of Monrovia for a few years.

·
Registered
166 Posts
^^^^^There are a few companies that make these interfaces Axxess makes one. It is called a ASWC-1 for most GM models. If this isn't what you are talking about please disregard.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I think he's looking for factory steering wheel controls for a factory radio. That's what I'm trying to do. Yesterday after some more research, I found that apparently all you have to do is get the switches and switch harness, cut out the side of the steering wheel and it's plug and play. I ordered the switch and harness yesterday from Amazon. I'll post up if it's really that easy when it comes in.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You may need a new clock spring. that is the device that sends the signal from the steering wheel to the column. It may be the same clock spring, but check your parts catalog.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Believe the air bag is different for one with steering wheel controls. Best to buy a complete steering column and swap the entire column. I don't know about the interface to the radio.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Does the customers car have cruise control? Looks like the clockspring part numbers vary between cruise and no cruise.

There are multiple steering wheels - I am going to take a guess and say the proper steering wheel will have the correct wiring for the radio buttons (in addition to purchasing the buttons)

11 22947803 STEERING WHEEL
SILVERADO, SIERRA; W/O SLT, LT; W/O ACCESSORY CONTROLS; W/O LEATHER; W/O CRUISE CONTROL
$151.31 $99.19

11 22947762 STEERING WHEEL
SILVERADO, SIERRA; W/O SLT, LT; W/O ACCESSORY CONTROLS; W/LEATHER
$233.15 $152.82

11 22947784 STEERING WHEEL
SILVERADO, SIERRA; W/O SLT, LT; W/ACCESSORY CONTROLS
$258.65 $169.54

11 22947808 STEERING WHEEL
SILVERADO, SIERRA; W/O SLT, LT; W/O ACCESSORY CONTROLS; W/O LEATHER; W/CRUISE CONTROL
$205.92 $134.99

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Got it done. The hardest part is cutting out the side of the rear steering wheel cover for the switches. The harness has everything you need. Very easy upgrade.

GM Harness Part# 25776048
Audio Control Switch 25851951
Both parts $53.80 shipped on Amazon Prime

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice! Thanks for following up, glad there was no programming or anything involved.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Yeah, the first thing I did was plug it in to see if it works before cutting up the back cover. I also have the DIC coming. Supposedly it is also plug and play. It's supposed to be here today.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
KICK ASS!!! The DIC also works. All you need is the trim panel and DIC buttons. Reuse your existing light controls. Takes about 30 seconds to install.

I now get...
Tire Pressure
Fuel Mileage
Lighting Options
Language Options

One part number gets the trim panel and buttons
19159438 $89.95 Shipped on Amazon Prime

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Great, glad it was that easy-- others may want to do the same-!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I just noticed this thread is in the 2011 and up forum. I did this on a 2008 but the steering wheel controls say '07-'14 and the DIC says '07-'12.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts