Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best kind of fuel additive? Also, I've heard a couple different theories on when to use it. Should I add it every time I fill up, or every once in a while?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I use the gray bottle of power service diesel kleen as it is available almost anywhere auto related, ive never had a problem an I double my dose truck runs better, idles smooth, an I seem to get better mpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
I run Stanadyne no complaints.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Fuel additive brands are a personal preference. You could try out a few brands & see which you liked better. Try out out Power Service Diesel Kleen 1st. Cause its, a good product & can be found easy. Add the recommended amount on a full fill up. If you notice a bit better MPG, quieter injectors, & anything else thats better, then keep using Power Service. U can use the recommended amount on every full fill up. Or if you feel more comfortable, add the recommended amount every once in a while. Like on every other full fill up or once per month on a full fill up.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I put a bottle of grey Diesel Kleen in my tank every time I fill up. It seems to keep the truck a little more quiet and maybe gives a slight power boost. As for MPG increases, there were only a couple tanks where I didn't use the additive, but those tanks did get slightly less mileage. Might have just been coincidence, though.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Diesel Kleen- gray bottle summer time, white bottle this time of year, every tank!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I put a bottle of grey Diesel Kleen in my tank every time I fill up. It seems to keep the truck a little more quiet and maybe gives a slight power boost. As for MPG increases, there were only a couple tanks where I didn't use the additive, but those tanks did get slightly less mileage. Might have just been coincidence, though.
are you serious? how big of a fuel tank do you have?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
According to the test opti lube is the best you can get but I wouldn't recommend running any additive in a truck that has a dpf. It can cause problems with your emissions sensors and also cause more frequent regens.

·
Registered
657 Posts
^^^ x2 thats crazy, i just put in 1.1 liters every time i fill my slip tank (450) liters, the big grey bottle 2.3 liters last me 900liters of fuel. i havent filled up my truck from a store pump since november.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Yea I use diesel kleen also and a bottle lasts me 10 full tanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I use standyne myself...found a shop in boise that caries it, bought a case of it.

When the guy grabbed the box for me, I noticed a black widow spider on it and I told him he could keep that at the shop. The poor guy that helped me could not kill it fast enough.....

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hey idamainer I'm in Boise right now--where did you find the Stanadyne?

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to the test opti lube is the best you can get but I wouldn't recommend running any additive in a truck that has a dpf. It can cause problems with your emissions sensors and also cause more frequent regens.
Hi, im new at this but it sounds like we have the same type truck. So u dont put additives in your truck. I was looking at the BULLYDOG but not sure what it is all about. Could u ask u for some info on this truck. This is my first 2500HD DURAMAX. But i have been driving trucks for 30 plus years. Can u help me out please!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
MasterTech Diesel, 1992 Cole road, Boise.....it is in one the warehouse type buildings near Costco I think it is on the east side of the road

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks idamainer!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also use power service diesel kleen. Run grey in the summer, warm months and the white in the winter. I add 1/3 of the quart bottle to a tank, every fill up. I can tell a big difference in the truck when I don't run any. I've tried them all, but you really can't beat power service IMO.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use the grey Diesel Kleen year round.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone else use Liquid MPG? I just started using it last month and im seeing a 3 MPG increase. I also started using better fuel recently, i found somewhere on a TDI forum that BP fuel has the highest cetane rating, started using that in my truck and my wifes car and saw an increase in mpg and reduction of noise for the past 4 months.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts