Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 05 LLY with DRW and pull a 37 ft fifth wheel. I am looking for the best exhaust, air intake, and programmer. after reading the forum, It seems I am seeing that MBRP Exhaust, PPE chip(efi live sounds too complicated for me), and AFE intake are the most popular. Can anyone provide feedback on this? I just want to be able to pull better without constantly straining the truck. Any other economical upgrades that can be done?

with the exhaust, I plan to go turbo back. which is better, 4" or 5"? are they both easy to install?

Anyone recommend a dealer that can ship to Vegas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i would go with a 4inch if you dont like the drone noise in the cab. also i would go with s&b intake cause they are just as good but alittle cheaper. PPE is very good with tuning. look into the AFE bladerunner mouth piece or the LBZ mouth piece mod. this will help your truck alot.

·
like a Ninja
5,212 Posts
i would go with a 4inch if you dont like the drone noise in the cab. also i would go with s&b intake cause they are just as good but alittle cheaper. PPE is very good with tuning. look into the AFE bladerunner mouth piece or the LBZ mouth piece mod. this will help your truck alot.
exactly what he said^^^ let me know if i can help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
X2

Only thing I would add is the PCV reroute. Very cheap and easy mod that keeps a couple of bad events from the likelihood of happening. Just take the PCV coupler off of the inlet and see how nasty inside it gets. That oily film is going right into your turbo and intercooler.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
a big thing will help is the mouth piece mod! you really dont need a intake considering the stock one is good until 500+ horse power! if you have your mind set on CAI, look into S&B. on the exhaust note, there is no performance differance between the two! the 5" does have a deeper note to it though. most people regret doing the 4" and wish they did the 5 " from the begenning though. if i had to do it all over again though, i would have did 5"! you might also want to look into getting a downpipe, i believe MBRP and diamomd eye both offer one for the lly. the PPE is definatley a good programmer but EFI LVE is the way to go! i WILL have EFI eventually! you might also want to look int getting some tranny work done! another mod would be a EGR blocker plate which will prolong the life of the motor. i personally have dealt with tyler at meyer perormance, chad at alligator performance and nate with Performance truck products and have had grat service with all 3!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is great info. Forgive me for my ignorance, but is the mouthpiece mod and pcv reroute something I buy, or are there instructions? I am not set on anything in particular, I just don't want to regret anything I buy (sucks buying things twice!). I am just tired of barely getting to the top of the hill at 50mph and the truck constantly having to downshift when on minor grades. I had an 03 ford 6.0 and blew a piston after 17K miles. My LLY pulls about the same as the ford. So it's either I spend a couple grand on some easy mods or I'll have to try a cummins. Very frustrating.

·
like a Ninja
5,212 Posts
the MP will be something you purchase, re-routing the PVC you can do yourself, all youll need is a fitting and 4' of hose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like we'll be in touch, Im checking out your site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so now that I think I know what I want, I looked on our DMV website, and my truck will have to be smogged this year. will these mods still pass? What about the Catalytic converter?

·
Registered
424 Posts
The smog question depends. In California I have to remove my tuner and put the cat back on, but my exhaust and mp are fine for smog. Where are you from? Maybe someone from your state can give you some answers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in Vegas, so our emissions requirements are similar to yours. will the stock cat go back on to the 5" or do I have to buy one to fit it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
When i got our delivery izuzu smogged all i did was get on the rolling dyno and accel to 40. He didnt do anything more. Ive already smogged my truck so im safe but dont want a hassle every year. I hope we'd be ok.

If you hear anything pass it on to me and visa versa since we both in vegas

maybe we can get a tagteam put together for our order since we need same stuff?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like a good idea. I'm leaning towards AlligatorPerformance

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would get ahold of Killerbee's about his ECM. I installed his ECM & dsp5 about a month ago. My wife & I have been very impressed with the way the truck drives and mileage after adding this. His professionalism and customer service were awesome! We had a MBRP 4' dp back exhaust on the truck but added a MBRP "muffler" this winter to kill the droning noise the driver was getting at speeds above 65mph. 95% cured! I went with the LBZ mouthpiece/intake system and an EGR blocker plate. Killerbee was able to correct and codes or issues going with these. We've seen slightly better than 1mpg mileage improvement but can't say as far as towing goes yet. We have a 28ft 10k 5th wheel.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm doing the 4" MBRP cat back with the front cat-delete pipe (gms9401) so I can easily reinstall the cat for emissions purposes. Just another option. I am going to try an emissions check w/o the cat to see what the numbers are though unless someone already has the numbers. It'll cost me $20 bucks for the info but worth it I think in the long haul. Pipe arrives Wednesday. :gearjamin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
where do you live markymark? Meyer suggested something similar. I'm getting the 5", which is actually 4" front pipe then inserts in the 5" at the cat back. He said all I have to do is cut the flange of the stock pipe and re-install it when I need to get it smogged. other than the hassle of doing that every year, sounds like it will work. Please keep me posted on your smog check with the cat delete.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts