Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ~ We own a 2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 High Country and are full time RV'ers so we are traveling this beautiful country. While in Reno, NV last month we had a CEL and had to get the DPF replaced (after waiting 2 weeks for it to come in). While the truck was at the dealer we had them change the oil.

Fast forward 1 month. We are now in Keystone, CO and i get another CEL. We take the truck into the dealer in Golden, CO and after many hours they determined the CEL was casued by the previous oil change. The person put in 3 more quarts of oil than they should have!!!!!

Between the oil change and the current CEL we have traveled about 2500 miles most of which pulling our 5th wheel.

Could this extra oil cause damage to the engine or possibly something else down the road (valves, injectors, exhaust)? I will be calling the Reno dealer tomorrow to start discussing how to make this right.

PS.. I also had to pay the dealer in Golden, CO $537 because this is not "warranty", although another Chevy dealer did the oil change.

We just want the truck to be ok and not have to deal with CEL's every month!!!

Thanks for your feedback & suggestions...

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'd have to know what the cel was before believing the dealers story. Did you check the oil level yourself?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd have to know what the cel was before believing the dealers story. Did you check the oil level yourself?
The CEL was P2459. The dealer determined that either oil or antifreeze was causing the regen to not happen. Sorry, I'm not a mechanic. No, I had no reason to check the oil level.

·
Administrator
16,967 Posts
That code is for a differential pressure sensor, not sure how 3 quarts extra oil would prevent regen. Did you call the original dealer? I would have done that before paying the bill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That code is for a differential pressure sensor, not sure how 3 quarts extra oil would prevent regen. Did you call the original dealer? I would have done that before paying the bill.
The P2002 was for the DFP issue, then they replaced the system..

·
Administrator
16,967 Posts
Correct
P2002 -
Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

P2459 -
Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency

Here is a thread on P2459

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi ~ We own a 2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 High Country and are full time RV'ers so we are traveling this beautiful country. While in Reno, NV last month we had a CEL and had to get the DPF replaced (after waiting 2 weeks for it to come in). While the truck was at the dealer we had them change the oil.

Fast forward 1 month. We are now in Keystone, CO and i get another CEL. We take the truck into the dealer in Golden, CO and after many hours they determined the CEL was casued by the previous oil change. The person put in 3 more quarts of oil than they should have!!!!!

Between the oil change and the current CEL we have traveled about 2500 miles most of which pulling our 5th wheel.

Could this extra oil cause damage to the engine or possibly something else down the road (valves, injectors, exhaust)? I will be calling the Reno dealer tomorrow to start discussing how to make this right.

PS.. I also had to pay the dealer in Golden, CO $537 because this is not "warranty", although another Chevy dealer did the oil change.

View attachment 1092320
Personally.. I would Go to a Chevrolet Dealer ( that you can trust)

YOU......Purchase GM Dexos D Oil/OEM Filter.

Then .Speak to a Chevrolet/GMC manager and drain the Oil..Replace the filter have them check for any codes ..Run Premium diesel..Shell /BP Keep your documentation

And keep an eye on oil pressure/temperatures ( thats a big Load............)

I do not understand how they could overfill by that amount..as most engines will "blow it out" but you need a fresh start point ..

Also are you sure of the PSI ratings on those tires

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Personally.. I would Go to a Chevrolet Dealer ( that you can trust)

YOU......Purchase GM Dexos D Oil/OEM Filter.

Then .Speak to a Chevrolet/GMC manager and drain the Oil..Replace the filter have them check for any codes ..Run Premium diesel..Shell /BP Keep your documentation

And keep an eye on oil pressure/temperatures ( thats a big Load............)

I do not understand how they could overfill by that amount..as most engines will "blow it out" but you need a fresh start point ..

Also are you sure of the PSI ratings on those tires
6.6 Duramax does not use Dexos D oil

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
2.8L uses Dexos2 5w-20
3.0L uses DexosD 0W-20
6.6L uses CJ-4 or CK-4 15W-40

Trust but verify.

I always check the engine oil, with the engine cold, soon after an oil change.
Especially if it was done by someone else.

I have a theory that many shops do no let them drain long enough -- then at the full amount of oil they are supposed to hold -- which results in an overfill condition.

If driven several thousand miles before the first check there is no way to know it the engine is 'making' fluid or if it was overfilled at the last change.
If it's leaking coolant or fuel into the engine oil, it's better to get the investigation going immediately than to wait til whenever the next oil change happens.

Reactions: D_R_C

·
Registered
90 Posts

View attachment 1092320
I owe you an apology..I didn't note you are in a 3500 ..A few more astute members caught the mistake..I would still recommend a "fresh" start but using the OEM oil for the 3500

·
Registered
3 Posts
😂
Your driving a diesel truck, pulling a heavy load, everywhere you go.

You should be checking the oil level, at EVERY FUEL STOP
I would have to say that’s a little extreme…. I rarely check my oil…….. especially on a newer truck…….🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
The CEL was P2459. The dealer determined that either oil or antifreeze was causing the regen to not happen. Sorry, I'm not a mechanic. No, I had no reason to check the oil level.
You might want to re-consider your reasoning. And YES 3 quarts over can and will cause even bigger problems.
Even one quart would create a issue of oil blowing out where ever it finds a place, this will hurt performance and yes, I am mechanically inclined.
There's a very good reason the dip stick has oil level lines on it for low and full, not just because.
You don't have to bae a mechanic just a little commonsense helps to check your fluids, tire air pressure to hopefully keep you going without hiccups.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I would have to say that’s a little extreme…. I rarely check my oil…….. especially on a newer truck…….🤷‍♂️
Good luck with that felling, newer are more inclined to have problems.
Or
You can just wait until it shuts down prematurely one day not keeping up with checking fluids often enough.

REDWNGR, in post #14 explained the reasoning pretty good.
Mine at 20K was leaking oil into my coolant system from a defective oil cooler screwing up all seals and gaskets.
Coolant wasn't getting into the oil but oil was getting into the coolant, turning the fluid color brown in the reservoir instead of pretty pink/red.
If I was not popping my hood a couple times a week checking all fluids I would have had bigger problems.

• Love
Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes, a to frequent regen can be caused by overfilling the crankcase. The excessive oil will will be pushed out if the pcv system and end up in the DPF plugging it. Hopefully, it can be cleared with a regen. If not, the DPF may need to be replaced.

I hope you are able to get it resolved without too much trouble.

Doug

·
Finally! Wheels on!
10,164 Posts
Deleted
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts