Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Even one quart would create a issue of oil blowing out where ever it finds a place
Not true. The insides of a moving engine is a very dynamic place. Acceleration, braking, up hill, down hill, off camber roads etc..etc..etc.... have the "oil level" all over the place. Being 10% overfull ( 1/10) wont hurt a thing, the engine will never, ever know it. 2 quarts would probably be ok too, but not advised. 3 quarts? You'll have the issues others described, mainly with the emissions package....

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
253 Posts
Lesson here.. keep it between the lines and check often. Don’t temped faith by leaving it overfilled. Good reason for the manufacture to back out of the warranty should the unforeseen happen. Those quick drain valves come in handy for this… I forget the brand name.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would have to say that’s a little extreme…. I rarely check my oil…….. especially on a newer truck…….🤷‍♂️
You have an oil pressure gauge, at least we do on our 03 2500 HD, and it will tell you when your oil pressure
gets low.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD AT4 Crew Cab 6.6 L5P Duramax
66 Posts
Hi ~ We own a 2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 High Country and are full time RV'ers so we are traveling this beautiful country. While in Reno, NV last month we had a CEL and had to get the DPF replaced (after waiting 2 weeks for it to come in). While the truck was at the dealer we had them change the oil.

Fast forward 1 month. We are now in Keystone, CO and i get another CEL. We take the truck into the dealer in Golden, CO and after many hours they determined the CEL was casued by the previous oil change. The person put in 3 more quarts of oil than they should have!!!!!

Between the oil change and the current CEL we have traveled about 2500 miles most of which pulling our 5th wheel.

Could this extra oil cause damage to the engine or possibly something else down the road (valves, injectors, exhaust)? I will be calling the Reno dealer tomorrow to start discussing how to make this right.

PS.. I also had to pay the dealer in Golden, CO $537 because this is not "warranty", although another Chevy dealer did the oil change.

We just want the truck to be ok and not have to deal with CEL's every month!!!

Thanks for your feedback & suggestions...

View attachment 1092320
What was the $537 for, labor to swap out the DPF?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts