Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, picked up a used Devils Own universal system for $100. Guy had the 3GPH nozzle and the 6-30PSI pressure switch with it. Looking to bump the nozzle up to a 7 or 10.

Not looking for power as much as maybe a slight boost in mileage and help in keeping the temps down when towing.

Will run the switch at 6psi.

Am I on the right track?

Has anyone run anything besides water and water/meth mixtures?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Would still like to know if I'm on the right track.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What size fluid tank do you have with your water-meth setup? I have a cooling mist setup with a 5-6 gpm nozzle and it will empty the tank (only 1.5 gallon) in 15-20 min. I've never used anything in mine except water-meth, usually 80-20 mix.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size fluid tank do you have with your water-meth setup? I have a cooling mist setup with a 5-6 gpm nozzle and it will empty the tank (only 1.5 gallon) in 15-20 min. I've never used anything in mine except water-meth, usually 80-20 mix.
Currently I have a little 2-1/2 quart tank to test with. Plan is to mount a 7 gallon or larger. Will be finishing the install today.

After reading more of TheStepChild's threads, I'm going to run the nozzle I have and go from there. Guess I'll see how fast I go thru water.

Starting to think I'll also pick up the lower boost switch first, set it at 2psi, and try that.

I've also mounted a switch inside to turn the system on and off. Won't turn it on until temps get close to average and shut it down a few minutes before the destination.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a toggle switch in my cab to turn it on/off as well. I only used mine when pulling a grade with our camper. Saw about a 75 degree drop in egt's.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thinking outside the box here a little. Anyone ever tried mixing something like simple green with the water to help clean up the intake?

·
Registered
118 Posts
You don't need any chemicals to clean it. I saw pictures somewhere, they may have been from StepChild I don't remember, but someone showed how it cleaned up the whole intake manifold that was covered in soot before. Just water/meth should do the trick.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I think there are alot of ways to get it to spray, boost psi, EGT, toggle switch seems the most simple,

If i were going to do it, might get at least around a 10gallon tank, and toggle switch a small nozzle to run constant, then maybe have another big nozzle to trigger if EGT gets high

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, had a Tech 2 hooked up to her today. The VPS was within a 1/2% of what was demanded and the Turbo vanes swept from 0-100% when demanded.

Some thoughts. The water injection has been on her for 1-1/2 weeks now and for the last week, I've been driving her hard. Have gone thru a full tank of fuel and an estimated 7 gallons of water.

Will drive the next tank a little easier to see what the mileage does but I don't expect much difference as my drive is only 15 miles and 1/2 of it is city streets.

She does feel like she may be running a little smoother to me (blowing out the carbon?) but it could also be me and a placebo effect.

Even though I'm only using a 3GPH (189ml/min), it is harder to get the EGT's up like I used too. I have it set to spray at 6PSI. Thinking of bumping it up to 10-12PSI to help save on the water use a little. Will be ordering a 7-8 gallon tank this week for the water.

Also had the CP3 and injectors checked and everything looks good.

Was told if the code (P2563) comes back, change the Vane Actuator. Said they could start getting sticky. Good maintenance (regular oil changes) is best thing to do to avoid issues. Technician has become a friend of my sons so he'll code it to the truck if I have to change it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts