Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you guys that have the AFE bladerunner MP had the same issue. When I got mine it was very rough on the inside. In particular, right where the louvers joined in the middle there were some very rough edges, lots of aluminum. I don’t know if this would have any effect on it’s operation, probably very minimal if any, but I was expecting it to be fairly smooth.

I have no intention of sending it back so I took my dermal and a file and smoothed it all down.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I believe they are all the same. Mine was just like that, due to the sand casting

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mine was also really ruff. I ported it also, also I don't notice any differance over my stock ported MP. But I did feel a differance when I ported the stock one truck pulled better up grades.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i just left mine it was the same

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
One theory I've read here is that the rough casting creates favorable turbulence that actually improves performance. Unless somebody did a scientific comparison, painstakingly measuring and recording flow bench and dyno data, the answer to this issue will be opinion only. If you like things shiny inside, I'd say go ahead and polish it up nice, only you will know how pretty it is....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ony time you would want a ruff casting is when there is fuel that need to stay atomized. If its just air then you want it a smoth as a baby's butt. When I did my HG I also ported the intake bridge. Also in boosted apps ruff vrs smoth does make much differance but it'll help keep things clean.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you like things shiny inside, I'd say go ahead and polish it up nice, only you will know how pretty it is....
LMAO!! Yeah you're right, I am the only one that will know what it looks like inside. :thumb

I have no idea if it being polished would help, just that polishing and porting heads does help in that application. IMO the smoother the better. But thats just my .02.

:gearjamin

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mine was like this too. I ported it with a dermal tool and a few beers

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
150 Posts
There all rough due to the casting. 10 min with a dremal and a cabide bit and its pretty smooth. Only place you want turbulance is near a area where fuel is being atomized. You dont want turbulance in front of the turbo inpeller.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
There all rough due to the casting. 10 min with a dremal and a cabide bit and its pretty smooth. Only place you want turbulance is near a area where fuel is being atomized. You dont want turbulance in front of the turbo inpeller.
X2

Rough casting is for fuel atomization not airflow.

I smoothed out my AFE mouthpiece when I had it as well (eventually just swapped in an LBZ mouthpiece instead).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed it the other day and did the PCV re-route at the same time. I couldn’t believe how much oily grim there was in the old mouth piece and on everything around it! It was coated on the inside. Probably a millimetre thick!
I can't help but wonder how much life that shit takes off your turbo!

I cleaned everything up and stuck in the new MP.

The truck definitely seems to be more responsive. That little lag it used to have is gone. :gearjamin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts