Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After, I had left the ignition on and ran the battery down. I had to jump it off, of course. Now the speedometer, max's out to 85 and I assume the governor kicks in. The truck thinks I'm doing 85mph, but the fast as it will go is 37 mph. I know this by GPS, I disconnected the batteries, overnight, hoping to reset. Now the fuel gauge reads 0 and the speedometer problem is still there.

· Premium Member
18,259 Posts
The dash gauges all have a "stepper motor" that operates them.. A common problem for them to go bad. GM had a special Policy where they were repairing them for 70k miles or 7 yrs-- at no charge, for certain 04-05 vehicles.

You did not state the year or miles-- contact the dealer, or a speedo vendor.

· Recovering Diesel Addict
1,312 Posts
When the stepper motors go it doesn't limit you to 37 mph tho. unless newer ones do?

1,312 Posts
are the batteries fully charged? I know after my truck is dead it does some strange shit until the batteries are up, and I cycle the key 2-3 times.

it was boosted with 12v and not hooked up wrong?

· Premium Member
18,259 Posts
When the stepper motors go it doesn't limit you to 37 mph tho. unless newer ones do?
Sorry KryPTiC ,You are correct, I missed that-- old eyes are not to good-!

Sounds like there is a electrical glitch where the TCM is getting incorrect speed reading, And going into the speed limiter. You might have to have someone scan it with a Tech II to find the problem.

1,312 Posts

1,312 Posts
Yeah for sure they are charged then, I would do like jc1843 said, have it scanned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.