Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My first post.
Just bought a 2009 Sierra 2500HD Duramax 2WD with 43000 miles. It has 18 months left on manufacturer drivetrain warranty based on service date.

My question: The credit union where I borrowed money for the truck is offering an aftermarket warranty through Route 66 Extended Warranties out of Mountain Home AR. They are offering this warranty for the NEXT 5 years, or 100,000 miles, whichever I reach first. It covers alot of stuff, but there are lots of conditions too. They want $2300 for it. Should I do it? Is another 3.5 years of warranty coverage on the Dmax and Allison worth this? Do you think I will need it? From the Dmax perspective, the truck is going to get light usage, not pulling 15Klb trailers or anything.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I dunno, 2300 for 5 years/100k miles doesnt horrible, but read the fine print and make sure it covers big things like injectors, etc...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Id pass. Do u want to leave it stock?
Thats a good bit of money, and ur truck is new. If u dont drive like a cop, ur truck will be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it'll probably stay stock. I don't drive like a cop (lol!), but I do a lot of hunting and fishing, so I think maybe this money would be better spent on a winch, since this is the absolute first truck I've ever had without 4WD, and I'm not sure I can even think in 2WD.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
if your plans are to leave it stock id say it all depends on what the conditions are.

Ive passed on all extra warranties. usually void mine the first day of owning the truck anyways. lol

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
An extended warranty is an insurance contract.
Most car dealers, banks and credit unions have someone licensed to write them.
The commission paid to them is upwards of 40 percent.
You can get one cheaper, if you want.
As noted above, make sure to read what's not covered.

I'm at 161k, and never been to a dealer.
The most expensive part I've replaced is a hub assembly ($200.00).
Spend that money on maintenence & you'll be way ahead.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As stated above carefully read what is/isn't covered. There are cheaper contracts, but the coverage drops also. The cheaper companies can be a nightmare with different exclusions, covering seals/gaskets only, stuff that may surpise you. You get what you pay for. I've dealt with Route 66 many times and they are a good warranty. If you decide to buy one, buy the highest level of coverage and don't waste your money on the lower levels. Most companies have a max labor rate, may/may not pay taxes, diagnosis & machine shop fees can also be limited. If you're unsure of Route 66 you may also be able to buy a GMPP contract through your local GM dealership. Again, get the best coverage they offer. They are also a good warranty to have. If you take your truck in for maintenance, hopefully that shop/dealer is looking it over. If they find problems you're unaware of hopefully your warranty will cover that failure. It's a gamble, you may buy a warranty and never use it, then you're out $. But it can take one repair to more than pay for itself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wouldn't go through your credit union. Go to the dealer and get their BEST one. If its not the best, its just a waste of your money. I've had em both and the dealer one is better. I had to fight the one I had through my credit union all the time. They wanted to deny a claim due to no history of changing the T-case fluid. Credit union threatened to drop them unless they paid for it to be fixed. The one I got through the local Chevy dealer was their best one for my Dmax and they put a new injector pump in a week after I got the warranty. This was just after my factory warranty expired and they put a new turbo and injectors in. Also the deductible is only $25 for each time it goes in for warranty issues. I take it in for anything and make sure I get my warranty money worth!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a route 66 extended warranty on a Silverado 1500 a few years ago. I blew my motor and was told that they would only pay out $3000 per claim. Later on, I had the transfer case go out, and turns out the $3000 cap was the total they would pay out in total. It was stated one time in the fine print that is easy to read over.

Imho, save the money you would use on the warranty for upgrades if anything happens.

if you do decide to get it, read the fine print very closely before.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Don't do it. Take it from me. I bought one through my credit union too. When I tried to file a claim ( some module for the Allison tranny ) they sent an adjuster. He voided my warranty for numerous reasons- aftermarket exhaust, CAI, larger than stock tires, rear add-a-leafs, and a 5th wheel hitch. It's a scam

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
337 Posts
Absolutely don't do it unless you buy one through your dealer, & even then, read the fine print very carefully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts