Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... my factory head unit took a crap on me. I went to Best Buy and picked up a nice Kenwood head unit. I have the factory Bose system. Apparantly, I'm supposed to use an interface unit or it won't work. I don't use OnStar (GM upgraded to digital and the '03 trucks are analog).

I know some of ya'll have probably had the same headache with an aftermarket install. Did you use the interface? Where can I get one locally without having to order it? There's a hole in my dash that I'd like to fill with my new head unit ASAP... no tunes sucks!!!

·
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my conclusion as well... but I'm not at home until the end of May. I'm stuck in Oklahoma City, and judging by the lack of availability of car audio shops... people around here really don't care about car audio. LOL

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
i just got one from Best buy, it was the day after Christmas the audio shops werent open, so i spend the 110 for the interface, the 20 for the mounting brackets, and the 20 for the atenna adapter

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes you need a interface for bose system to work and steeringwheel controls if you have them. Call crutchfield, they are experts.:)

·
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've talked to Crutchfield. My problem is trying to find it locally. I don't have any tunes in my truck until I get the interface, and I'm too impatient to go until middle of next week without tunes.

·
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just got one from Best buy, it was the day after Christmas the audio shops werent open, so i spend the 110 for the interface, the 20 for the mounting brackets, and the 20 for the atenna adapter
I'll try them. The website said it was special order, but I'm sure they would have them in stock if they install car audio, right?

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Yeah...Best Buy should be able to drop ship you one...

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
F the interface...do you really care about those annoying beeps when your door is open? or the onstar bitch when you accidently hit that button on the steering wheel?

regular harness is 20 bucks, save some money

·
Registered
895 Posts
F the interface...do you really care about those annoying beeps when your door is open? or the onstar bitch when you accidently hit that button on the steering wheel?

regular harness is 20 bucks, save some money
I think he needs the adapter to factory harnes there are two one that can retain on start and one that will loose it as well as the door chime. You will also need a swiJACK for your steering wheel controls.

SWI JACK Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

I looked and could only find this one that is for the bose system and unfortunitally it retains all the chimes and on star
Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

I found this one which would get rid of on star but is not bose compatiable sorry
Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

There may be other manufactures out there for these parts but over the years i have never had any issues with the PAC Audio gear and that is what i have now. Yes they are expensive but the fit and finish are great and they are pretty easy to use....A goes into A and b goes into b...

I also just found this site http://www.scosche.com/

Later
Phil

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
redbowties, he wont be able to use a regular harness because of the bose. Bose is on IIRC a 3ohm system. You have to have the adapter to get it to work. It is all because of the amp

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
redbowties, he wont be able to use a regular harness because of the bose. Bose is on IIRC a 3ohm system. You have to have the adapter to get it to work. It is all because of the amp
i have bose in my truck, my harness was the regular one 20 bucks. it may be different then the harness for the non-bose trucks but it costs no extra money. i have no onstar or door chimes anymore and im glad they're gone

·
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't like them either RedBowTies... especially the doorchimes. I don't ever use OnStar. I couldn't if I wanted to. The '03's were analog and GM has upgraded to digital with no backwards compatibility. Crutchfield told me the speakers won't work without the adapter because the new head unit "won't drive the Bose amp."

I got the wiring harness adapter yesterday that is "supposed to fit." It doesn't come close. Their aren't enough pins and the plugs don't line up. Totally different. I just dropped $370 yesterday at Best Buy... not looking forward to another $100.

I did get a bada$$ Kenwood head unit though.

·
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your help guys. Crutchfield was trying to rape me. Told me that the new Kenwood head unit wouldn't drive the amp for the Bose system... WRONG!!!

I took RedBowTie's advice and just got a wiring harness... considering I cuss the truck out everytime I have to do something with the door open and the keys in the ignition with a loud, annoying, door chime ringing in my ear.

Yeah... it works. The Kenwood head unit drives the amp just fine. A$$holes just wanted me to spend $120 instead of $20.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
no prob man glad i could help.

drive an amp? they must be really retarded seeing as amps drive speakers nothing drives amps lol.

·
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL... yeah they said that the Bose system has a different amp than other aftermarket amps and the rca's need special adaptors through the interface to work the speakers. They said I wouldn't get any sound without it. I figured worst case scenario I'd lose $20, but if it worked I would save $100. Just used the wiring harness with nothing through my RCA's and it works just fine.

The factory radio would go wide open and not distort the sound... I can't go wide open on the Kenwood... LOL

Anyone upgrade their factory speakers? What would sound better than the Bose?

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
go into the options on the kenwood and see if theres an option to either lower or turn off the onboard amp in the headunit, that way it wont be so distorted and the sound levels wont "jump up" so bad

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Remember you also lose the low fuel alarm which saves my ass all the time...... just sayin' :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts