Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just installed my Superchips flashpaq in my '07 Classic. Haven't seen much of a mileage increase but I can feel the added power for sure. It has a Tow, Tow/Perf, and Perf setting which I believe is about 115 HP. I was just wondering if I should leave it in Performance or Tow/Performance for regular driving? I am going for an improvement in fuel mileage over power. Any advice?
Also I am looking and a 4" turbo back exhaust. I can save myself about $400 installing it myself. How hard are they to install? My main worry would be not getting things sealed up right, or screwing up some bolt or something just after the turbo. Is it worth crawling around on the ground for the extra money to have someone do it on a hoist? The people who sold me the Superchips say that with a CAI and exhaust I can see up to about 4 mpg increase, and that's what I'm going for. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in exactly the same predicament. I have found a shop here locally who will install a complete 4" turbo back exhaust system with muffler for $450. I have an LBR so no cat. That's parts and labor. As far as the chip goes, I'm still looking at several of those. Some of the guys on here recommend PPE over all others and others I have read have an affinity for the Diablo. I too would like to see a 3 or 4 miles per gallon increase as well as a little extra horse for pulling the fifth wheel. So I will wait with baited breath for some knowledgeable soul to rescue us from our predicament. However, I'm sure this has been answered several thousand times in previous times.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I would just leave it in tow/performance for all around driving. As far as getting an increase of mileage out of a CAI and exhaust...I think those guys are blowing smoke. I have not seen an increase in mileage from either of those 2 mods. I have tried driving like a grandpa and it doesn't make that much difference on my truck. Only about 1-2 mpg better. The only way to know if you are for sure getting an increase in mileage, is to test over about 10 tankfulls and fill the tank up to the same spot each time. Also, you must hand calculate the mileage. Do not go by what the computer says.

Railbird, welcome to the site. Best bang for your buck on programmers is the diablosport predator since they can be had for $300.....but, PPE always has the option to load more tune into your programmer and from what I heard, they aren't that much more expensive.

As far as installing your exhaust yourself...Go for it. It is really easy. I removed and replaced my exhaust in about 1 hour. I had one guy helping me a little and we drove the passenger's side up on ramps. That was it. Most exhaust kits are slip joints and in about 5 different sections.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Yes, MBRP 4" downpipe back....the "offroad" system.

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
Yeah installing the exhaust isn't that tough. I got mine done in about an hour and a half for not knowing what I was doing. I had a big Bumper jack that lifted the back of the truck up about 3feet. It was enough room to wiggle out the big muffler and the cat. Goodluck.

RYan

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I'm in exactly the same predicament. I have found a shop here locally who will install a complete 4" turbo back exhaust system with muffler for $450. I have an LBR so no cat. That's parts and labor. As far as the chip goes, I'm still looking at several of those. Some of the guys on here recommend PPE over all others and others I have read have an affinity for the Diablo. I too would like to see a 3 or 4 miles per gallon increase as well as a little extra horse for pulling the fifth wheel. So I will wait with baited breath for some knowledgeable soul to rescue us from our predicament. However, I'm sure this has been answered several thousand times in previous times.
ya installing the aftermarket exhaust on the duramax are quite easy so it shouldn't take more then a hour for your first but i can tell you if you have access to a lift you mite want to consider that way seeing you won't strain your back like that..ps you have a LB7 and it was built from 01 thru 04..
Hello. I just installed my Superchips flashpaq in my '07 Classic. Haven't seen much of a mileage increase but I can feel the added power for sure. It has a Tow, Tow/Perf, and Perf setting which I believe is about 115 HP. I was just wondering if I should leave it in Performance or Tow/Performance for regular driving? I am going for an improvement in fuel mileage over power. Any advice?
Also I am looking and a 4" turbo back exhaust. I can save myself about $400 installing it myself. How hard are they to install? My main worry would be not getting things sealed up right, or screwing up some bolt or something just after the turbo. Is it worth crawling around on the ground for the extra money to have someone do it on a hoist? The people who sold me the Superchips say that with a CAI and exhaust I can see up to about 4 mpg increase, and that's what I'm going for. Any insight would be appreciated.
i would recommend the ppe above all the others but i have heard great results from the diablo but i would stay away from Banks and Bully Dog,there is a reson i no longer have my bully dog..as for the CAI,the stock one is good enough unless you do a turbo upgrade but i would recommend a drop in filter from AFE or S&B but i would deffently say a aftermarket exhaust is a must..with my ppe tuner and exhaust i gained an average 2 to 3 mpg on both of my trucks and the dually i have seen up to 23mpg runnin empty on the freeway but 20mpg is a steady average on both trucks..

·
Registered
56 Posts
You said you would stay away from the banks? Why is this?

I want to order a programmer this week before I go from CT to Prince Edward Island for a week to have some more fun!

thanks!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i know of 3 trucks with the banks setup that it crashed the truck computer and every body that i know that had banks and that upgraded to something else says the banks stuff is no good compared to other stuff on the market and i personally think the banks stuff is overrated..i personally never had banks products but i have customers that had it so i'm going off of what they told me..hope this helps and if you decide to go with banks i won't hold it against you..
ps rota92 go with the diablo sport or ppe,you'll love it..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Banks is very expensive for a lower performing product. Thats the short story. Are they bad products? Not normally, no. However, for the money of, say a 6 gun, you can have a diablosport and exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts