Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating on looking for a High Output alternator. Just don't like the fact that 2 10 in subs can make my needle jump really good at somewhat low volumes...

Is there anyone out there running any good ones? I was debating on just upgrading to the 130 amp version, but even that seems pretty low for a "HO Alternator", considering its only a 25 amp increase.

And for the life of me I can't seem to find any information as far what the idle output is and assuming the normally operating output is 105/130 respectively.

Anyone have any useful info on that as well?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one?????

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I've thought of a cap too.....just not real sure where in the hell I'd put it.

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
If the needle is jumping or your headlights go dim from 2 ten inch subs,then your grounds[either chassis or on your equipment]are insufficient!!Get the grounds done and you won't have to worry if it'll destroy your amp when it starts clipping the audio due to poor grounds...............seen it a hundred times..

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the needle is jumping or your headlights go dim from 2 ten inch subs,then your grounds[either chassis or on your equipment]are insufficient!!Get the grounds done and you won't have to worry if it'll destroy your amp when it starts clipping the audio due to poor grounds...............seen it a hundred times..
Nope my grounds are good to go.

If you think about it like this. A 105 amp alternator charges at what 14.4V (most alternators do anyways). (105x 14.4=1512) that would put the total output for the entire truck to 1512 Watts.

Then you consider most vehicles consume 30-50% of that total with no goodies turned on or plugged in.

So when you start adding in gauges, HID's, cell phone chargers, lift pumps, headunits, amps, and even GPS units, towed vehicles lights/brakes.

Granted some may not require alot of juice to run collectively, those numbers add up quickly. And when you have an 750W amp, that cuts that number in half, so you are constantly tapping into your battery reserves instead of using the fresh power supplied by the alternator.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had a 190 amp on my Ford but took it off when I Lemon Lawed it back to Ford and sold it to a Ford guy. I run a couple Viair pumps and some big Hella lights, with just my AC on, high beams, and both pumps running the output at idle was 170amps. That was at idle! I am going to install another (second) alternator on my GM and I will probably buy two of the 190amp units unless of course he will give me a deal on two of the 230's. They have a ton of copper in them and weigh a lot as compared to a stocker. All the parts are made here and not overseas, the company is in Corona, Ca.

Click this link: GM Truck & SUV Alternators

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a 190 amp on my Ford but took it off when I Lemon Lawed it back to Ford and sold it to a Ford guy. I run a couple Viair pumps and some big Hella lights, with just my AC on, high beams, and both pumps running the output at idle was 170amps. That was at idle! I am going to install another (second) alternator on my GM and I will probably buy two of the 190amp units unless of course he will give me a deal on two of the 230's. They have a ton of copper in them and weigh a lot as compared to a stocker. All the parts are made here and not overseas, the company is in Corona, Ca.

Click this link: GM Truck & SUV Alternators
Yeah I was looking at these yesterday, seem like a great product but for the life of me, I couldn't find any info as far as there warranty.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Call there and talk to Robbie he is the owner, I'm pretty sure the warranty was two year. I paid a little extra and had mine powdercoated black, will probably do the same to the two I buy from him for my new truck.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Call there and talk to Robbie he is the owner, I'm pretty sure the warranty was two year. I paid a little extra and had mine powdercoated black, will probably do the same to the two I buy from him for my new truck.
Yeah I just sent them an email....do you they do the powdercoating or did you send it somewhere to have it done.

Think that would be something I would do, but I didn't see an option so yeah I'll give em a call when I hear back on the warranty.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have 2 alternators on my truck. So you should be able to get the brackets for duels if you go that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts