Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very little info is on the internet about changing out the radio. Here is my finding threw trial and error. 2015 high country 2500.

I went to my audio guy and bought a pioneer avic7200, maestro gm3, idatalink rr and the scotch dash kit.

Was told thats all i need. Install is straight forward. Not too hard. I removed the factory monitor screen so i can reuse the stock trim and not use the scotch adapter. Personal preference.

Flashed the idatalink for my truck. Hooked everything up and got no sound. After about a hour i decided to call meastro. Spoke to tech dept and he said that the rr does not interface with the bose amp. Alpine makes a unit that does, its 400 bucks. Forget that idea.

Went back to my audio guy and he got me the bose bypass harness. So if you have bose sound system you cant use the amp unless you stay stock or buy the alpine adapter.

I ordered a sound stream 4 channel amp and my audio guy gave bass blockers for the tweeters.

So far i am into this little project for $900. If i would have known this i probably would have stayed stock and said fck the android auto and dvd for the kids. But i could not find any info on swapping out headunit and staying stock amp and speakers.

If anyone has question shoot away, hoping this helps someone else.

Headunit $550
Idatalink and gm3 $200
Harness and bass blockers free
Amp and rca cables $120.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,421 Posts
I have an 08 with the Bose and I didn't need anything but an adapter harness, a mount adapter and nothing else to connect up an Avic 7200NEX and it works just fine.

I did look up on Crutchfield using your vehicle and found two cautions listed:

1. Your vehicle is equipped with an active noise cancellation system. When you add an aftermarket amplifier, processor, or subwoofer, you'll need to disable the system.

2. If you are bypassing the factory amp in this vehicle, we recommend replacing the low-impedance factory speakers with standard 4-ohm aftermarket speakers (or add an aftermarket amplifier) to prevent overheating and other damage to your new radio.

You might give them a call, their tech service guys are VERY good.

Just by digging further into their site I found that you could keep your factory amp, but it depended on which package of adapters you bought. Your guy sold you the cheapest and that is why you had to replace the amp.

Here is where you can see what is needed for the install, in kits:

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/In-dash-GPS-Navigation-Receivers.html?tp=64498

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 08 with the Bose and I didn't need anything but an adapter harness, a mount adapter and nothing else to connect up an Avic 7200NEX and it works just fine.

1. Your vehicle is equipped with an active noise cancellation system. When you add an aftermarket amplifier, processor, or subwoofer, you'll need to disable the system.

2. If you are bypassing the factory amp in this vehicle, we recommend replacing the low-impedance factory speakers with standard 4-ohm aftermarket speakers (or add an aftermarket amplifier) to prevent overheating and other damage to your new radio.

Just by digging further into their site I found that you could keep your factory amp, but it depended on which package of adapters you bought. Your guy sold you the cheapest and that is why you had to replace the amp.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/In-dash-GPS-Navigation-Receivers.html?tp=64498
The 14 and up radios use most50 signal. All processing is done at amp. There are no wires behind the screen for speakers. The hmi send signal to bose amp and thats how the audio is received. As far as changing the speakers adding a new amp will fix that. Sucks finding it out this way but trial and error i guess.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Yeah I have to agree. I did a sound system in my 08 LMM and did everything with Crutchfield. They have great support and insight to what is needed for each vehicle. Got a Pioneer AHV 4500 and powered subwoofer. Crutchfield assisted with getting the right interface adapter so my steering wheel inputs work great with the Pioneer. I do remember when researching this that Crutchfield had many notices about what worked on systems that did or did not have the Bose system. Mine did not. Dean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the amp bypass harness. I suggest you use a battery and tone out the speakers. None of my colors matched up. I bought a soundstream 4ch 1200watt amp. Just got around to hooking everything up. I used bass blockers for the dash tweeters and wired them into the front door speakers. So far sounds good. I will button up tomorrow and try to take pics. Its 27* here so trying to do as much as i can before i get too cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts