Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a aftermarket stereo I'm trying to put in with a Access GMOS-100 Interface. I'm 2 1/2 hrs away from anyone qualified to install it. Lots of different harness and wires. Very overwhelming. Does anyone know how this goes in? I tried YouTube and nothing specific. The directions are no help I don't understand most of the technical stuff. Does anyone know how I can put all this in or a web site that can walk me through it? I have the bose on Star too. The package says plug and play ( if you know what your doing).

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
So I have a aftermarket stereo I'm trying to put in with a Access GMOS-100 Interface. I'm 2 1/2 hrs away from anyone qualified to install it. Lots of different harness and wires. Very overwhelming. Does anyone know how this goes in? I tried YouTube and nothing specific. The directions are no help I don't understand most of the technical stuff. Does anyone know how I can put all this in or a web site that can walk me through it? I have the bose on Star too. The package says plug and play ( if you know what your doing).
i do not think that is the correct harness for your truck, i checked it against crutchfields site as well and they list it as not being compatible with that truck. The harness i have always used on those trucks, at least before PAC made a better option, was the GMOS-04 (for bose) and the GMOS-01 (Non Bose) from Metra. I have never used a GMOS-100 on a silverado.

It kind of looks like that harness has parts in it for several different vehicles (mostly GM cars) which means you may not use them all. That is likely not a good idea for someone who is not comfortable with the install. I would recommend you exchange it for a PAC RP5-GM11, it will be much more straight forward and works with all OBS silverados.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have installed it called crutchfeild day before yesterday and they assured me it would work. So everything does except I have clarity in the back speakers and nothing but bass in the front. And the only way I got back speakers was because I used the 4 pin harness to the back two.wondering if I can do the same with the front or have been told to get a amp bypass kit.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
If you are having to by pass the amp and having problems with speakers then in my opinion you may have a kit that "will work" but it is not the correct harness.

Get a PAC harness, install it correctly (by soldering and heat shrinking the connections) and you will solve your issues. There are MANY U-Tube vids on how to do each one. If you don't have a Heat Gun a good Hair Dryer will shrink the tubing or even an open flame (Be VERY Careful)

www.crutchfield.com

Search for your vehicle and unit and get the correct harness

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I have installed it called crutchfeild day before yesterday and they assured me it would work. So everything does except I have clarity in the back speakers and nothing but bass in the front. And the only way I got back speakers was because I used the 4 pin harness to the back two.wondering if I can do the same with the front or have been told to get a amp bypass kit.
when you put your truck in the "does this fit my vehicle" section of there site, under that harness, it says no... Ive installed maybe 3-400 radios in similar chevy trucks. never had your issue, never used that harness. 'dunno;

the only other thing i could think of would be using the other radio harness clipped to the back of the plastic radio basket. You will need to do some cutting of the basket to get it out though. That harness bypasses the bose amp and essentially turns your truck into a non bose truck. That might be why they say it will work, but it does not appear to be a bose integration harness based on there site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought it 12 years ago. They have a new one out that replaces it. However I spent 300 on it. The guy at crutchfeild looked it up and swears to God it's exactly what I needed they just have a new one out now. Cause I couldn't find it anymore. He said try switching the front and rear wires around. I think they might have lied to me and now I'm stuck with it. The harnesses definitely are not cheap.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I bought it 12 years ago. They have a new one out that replaces it. However I spent 300 on it. The guy at crutchfeild looked it up and swears to God it's exactly what I needed they just have a new one out now. Cause I couldn't find it anymore. He said try switching the front and rear wires around. I think they might have lied to me and now I'm stuck with it. The harnesses definitely are not cheap.
switching the front and rear speakers would not matter, That would only be an issue if you could not hear Bluetooth calls since they play through the front speakers only. If that harness is 12 years old, that would explain why ive never installed one. Its also possible it was DOA from Metra, it would not be the first second or third harness ive gotten dead out of the box.... and its not like there quality control was better back then....

Do you want to just bypass the bose amp and hardwire it? at this point, it would probably be easier. Down side, you loose idiot warnings (key in ignition, door ajar, seatbelt ect) but no harness required (DO NOT CUT THE PLUG OFF!). You can successfully hardware a radio into the OBS trucks simply by splicing the speaker wires into the bose amp bypass harness wiring behind the HVAC controls. Standard wire colors are posted on this forum in several places. the only wire you need to run is fused switched power to the orange or brown ignition wire under the driver dash. If that is an option for you at this point i can give you a rough idea how to do it but be aware that this is not the ideal solution to the problem. A better solution would be a known working harness like the RP5-GM11, but that is your call.

edit: if you hardwire, and have a factory sub, you will lose the sub, im not sure its obvious to someone who doesent do this kind of work all the time so i thought it should be mentioned. Not a lot of silverados out there with factory subs though.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Thank you. For now I think I'm going to just let it be. My head hurts thinking about it.
no problem, just PM me if you have questions about the bypass process, its quite simple to do and does not require that harness at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts