Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and apparently no one has done this or didn't tag it right.

Ok, so heres the deal, I don't watch dvd's, I have a self contained GPS, and I already have a Media Gateway to run my iPhone through my stock LT stereo.

I would really like to put a little bit more punch into the stereo in my truck, mainly bass. And it would be nice to add a sub but would like to keep the stock head unit. Probably add like a nice 10" to amp the bass is all.

Anyone added a sub to the stock LT stereo in an LMM? Any advice?

·
Registered
613 Posts
You'll have to:

1.run power from battery(fuse within 18" of battery)
2.ground amp to metal
3.find an accessory source to turn on the amp
4.tap into speaker wires to get a signal

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you plan on doing it yourself I can get you the wire color codes behind the radio

·
Registered
755 Posts
Youll need RCA cable inputs... i dont know If the stock units do on those trucks

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah most likely do it myself. I take it there is no aux outputs on the back end of the stereo like a aftermarket head unit would have then huh. Hence needing to tap into the speakers wire for signal.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Im guessin thats why toy hauler said youd have to tap into some stuff which will be a little more difficult

·
Registered
613 Posts
yup some amps will have built-in high (speaker wire) inputs,otherwise you'll have to use a high/low adapter that converts speaker wire to rca's for the signal

·
Registered
755 Posts
Why dont you want to go with an aftermarket deck?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why dont you want to go with an aftermarket deck?
Mainly to keep costs down. Plus, the iSimple Media Gateway really seamlessly integrates my iphone with the stereo and the factory steering controls.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I see... well Im sure you can get an amp wired in there with the right wiring even if the stock deck doesnt have the right connections

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might have to do some looking the gateway that I have might have some outputs on it already and save me a great deal of trouble. The gateway already splices into the factory harness using the factory connections. Maybe I'll get lucky.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ya do some lookin, a deck that fancy should have some outputs you would think... Your gunna love havin a sub thou

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya do some lookin, a deck that fancy should have some outputs you would think... Your gunna love havin a sub thou
Yeah I had a Alpine head unit w/ipod controls and a crossfire 150x4 watt amp and JL Audio W3 12" sub in my old gasser.

I was driving it again this past weekend and remembered how awesome that stereo was.

Gotta get something in this duramax!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
well Ive got those two 12s for sale if youd be interested

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Na I think 1 12 would be plenty. But I'll probably end up with a great 10 of some sort. not sure yet. gotta see if I can even install a sub (practically) in the truck before buying the parts.

·
Registered
755 Posts
True true, just figured id offer... why are you runnin that one in your other truck with a 4 channel?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True true, just figured id offer... why are you runnin that one in your other truck with a 4 channel?
I mistyped, its a 150x2, and they are bridged to one 300w, the sound shop that did it when i was 16 said it was the way to go...

Found the answer. Factory LT radio has no outputs. But this will do the trick Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future it will give me up to 2 sets of red/white outs...should do the trick.

·
Registered
755 Posts
they? what sound shop was that lol? Itll work but not the best...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Local shop back home in MI. I may be blowing smoke, I honestly don't remember the full particulars on the amp. But it worked good so can't complain.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ya it should work ok as long as its stable at the subs ohm load in bridged mode

1 - 20 of 69 Posts