Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if it is even a good idea to install an aftermarket turbo on a stock LB7? The only thing I have done to my LB7 is install EFI Live tunes and a 5 inch turbo back exhaust. The truck is at 172k miles and runs great.

I have a feeling the answer is no, but just wanted to see others opinions.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Really depends on what your intentions are with the truck. If you dont already i would invest in a lift pump first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really depends on what your intentions are with the truck. If you dont already i would invest in a lift pump first.
I would definitely like for the turbo whistle to be more prominent which is the main reason I posted this thread lol. A buddy of mine has an ‘03 LB7 like mine and his turbo is very loud, but mine is somewhat quiet. He definitely has an aftermarket turbo although I do not know which one.

I have heard good and bad things about the lift pumps. What’s the benefit?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Lift pump adds extra filtration to the fuel system and "pushes" fuel to the CP3 under the hood to keep stress off of the CP3 from having to supply the motor with fuel and having the job of pulling fuel from the tank. If you're going strictly for sound i would look into a S300 turbo. Being you're all stock i would consider a S364.5SXE or S366SXE. If you tow on the heavier side i would lean towards the S364.5 or even the S363SXE.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lift pump adds extra filtration to the fuel system and "pushes" fuel to the CP3 under the hood to keep stress off of the CP3 from having to supply the motor with fuel and having the job of pulling fuel from the tank. If you're going strictly for sound i would look into a S300 turbo. Being you're all stock i would consider a S364.5SXE or S366SXE. If you tow on the heavier side i would lean towards the S364.5 or even the S363SXE.
I see. I researched a Fass system. That will probably solve my issue of running out of fuel when I hit a quarter tank lol. I can see the benefit of it being gravity fed versus the "straw" coming from above.

Do you think I could get away with the S369 turbo or is that pushing it? lol

·
Registered
762 Posts
It really depends on what you plan to do with the truck. If you don't plan on doing a larger or dual CP3's or larger injectors you will never use the 369 to its full potential. Hell if you keep the fuel system stock youll never use the 366 to its full potential.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
If you really are just after sound and have no intention of building the transmission and other supporting mods stick a metal tube intake on it and that will get you some more sound

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you really are just after sound and have no intention of building the transmission and other supporting mods stick a metal tube intake on it and that will get you some more sound
What about a hood stack?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
No those are very quiet

·
Registered
119 Posts
Definitely worry about making sure you get enough fuel 1st, also check out the PPE boost valve, you'll get a little more boost and a little more whistle out of it.

If you're dead set on an aftermarket turbo, Ryan's Diesel Service he has drop in 64mm, 66mm, 68mm turbo i believe, not sure on the quality but there are quite a few people on youtube using his turbos and have been happy, also Dan's Diesel has them too. BUTTT make sure you have a built tranny too, once you add all this power, you'll toast the tranny, and that'll be an expensive boo-boo lol.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,515 Posts
I would advise against a turbo before you build a trans. Like said earlier, if you're wanting more sound put a metal intake tube on it. Putting a turbo on will not be good for a stock trans, and then you'll be farther behind on getting a trans built because you put the money into a turbo.

·
Vendor
1,169 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see. I plan to add a few upgrades to my truck in the distance future lol like a built trans. Good to know an aftermarket turbo would roast the stock transmission.

On another note, these turbos with the 64mm, 68mm and so on... Do they require a different sized inlet tube?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m looking at getting the Fass fuel filtration system (I believe that is what it’s called) along with a sump kit, but I’m still looking into that. I believe I will invest fass first especially since I’ve already replaced the fuel injectors in my truck at 136k.

Anything else need to be done to my truck before the fass goes in?

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,515 Posts
A lift pump and added filtration is definitely a good idea. The cleaner the fuel, the better it is for the injectors, and will also take the stress off the cp3 of pulling it all the way from the tank.

The sump isn't a 'have to' thing, I've had a lift pump on my truck for over a decade now, and been over 700hp still using the stock fuel pick up through the sending unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought about a sump for my tank but I can't say I like the idea of a hole in the bottom of my fuel tank.

If you have a metal tank you might want to look into putting in a metal tube that goes to the bottom of your fuel tank. My mechanic is doing that to my truck at the moment. When I told him of my fuel pickup not getting down to the bottom of my tank he told me about big rigs having a metal tube that goes to the bottom of the tank for fuel pickup. And since I have a metal tank he would be willing to do that to my tank.

Food for thought. Enjoy the think.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Lds also makes nice drop in turbos.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,515 Posts
If you're dead-set on a turbo, Fleece makes a good drop in as well. I've run their LB7 cheetah since 2014. They went through a redesign in late 2016 and I've been even happier with the second one than the first. Its pricey, but its a drop in and works great for me

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
The cheetahs do run really well

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,515 Posts
I have several videos with good sound of the cheetah if you want to hear them. PM if interested in any of them, it won't let me post them direct from my computer

1 - 20 of 40 Posts