Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello today i unistalled my mouthpiece and and shaved it down inside. I removed some material from the outside and rounded the square edges removing as much material as i could. I reinstalled and the aftermath is quite noticeable. First, the turbo sounds much better and louder, cruising down the highway the EGT's have dropped about 90 degrees. Boost running down the highway has increase about 1 1/2 psi. You can tell the turbo is liking all the extra air it is getting. At wide open throttle it seems to hold the boost longer and spool quicker. There are minor changes in the get up and go power. The engine may run a shade cooler as well with what i could tell. My truck has stage 2 intake, full 4 inch exhaust, egr blocker, fingerstick, boost and pyro guages and i was able to feel a slight difference in power. The truck sounds much better now to. Last thing on the list is a Turbo resonator plug if i can ever find a hardware store that has one. For anyone thinking about doing this i would reccommend it. I modded my stock mouthpiece and it turned out great. Cost me nothiong to do with the right tools. :gearjamin

·
Registered
342 Posts
I did the same to my stock mouth piece and finally stepped up and bought a LBZ unit. There was a more noticable increace after both. Now you got all that extra power and your turbo will also last longer as a byproduct. congrats man!

·
Registered
58 Posts
how do u install a ported mouthpiece on a lb7? does it help any?

·
Registered
342 Posts
The LB7s dont have the same style mouthpiece as the later dmax motors have. The LB7s mouth piece is thought to be "perfect" from the factory although there are companys that do offer the service.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have the lbz mouthpiece. Fan still runs more than I like in this current Texas heat wave. My air filter is stock. Would a IOH kit help this?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
It is hard to tell, I don't know your specific application.

A good IAT dampening CAI is important here. I have 112 F here, and empty I never here the fan come on, ever, even stop-go. That is with the Shroud/seal kit, IOH kit, and my custom tuning. That makes a difference also.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
My truck is totally stock except for lbz mp. Fan runs a lot in current heat wave empty. When I pulled my RV friday I don't believe it ever quit running. Traffic very bad too. Humidity was very high and temps around 100. Heat index around 107. Engine and tranny temps were ok. Tires are 245X85.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
My truck is totally stock except for lbz mp. Fan runs a lot in current heat wave empty. When I pulled my RV friday I don't believe it ever quit running. Traffic very bad too. Humidity was very high and temps around 100. Heat index around 107. Engine and tranny temps were ok. Tires are 245X85.
Mine behaved just the same way 4 years ago. You are not going to get rid of the fan in traffic. It is a heat soak thing, and for that matter ALL vehicles pretty much do what you describe. There is no motion airflow taking the heat away.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Going to be doing some business with you in the near future, intake kit and ecm exchange. Just bought RV and spent out.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yes, but my fan runs a lot traveling down interstate 70 mph in near 100 temps. As long as temps were in the lower 90s fan ran little after lbz upgrade. Will likely get the tcai from you and the shrouding plates shortly. Get the tuning later.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Yes, but my fan runs a lot traveling down interstate 70 mph in near 100 temps.
I know what you mean. In the first 100 miles of owning the truck, i knew something was not right. I distinctly remember doings some mild hiway accelerations, for the break in process, then looking around the jumbo jet that was trying to ditch on the highway.

It took three years to completely unravel it all.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have this same problem on my lly. The fan seems to be constantly on. Even when I first dtart it up it wil be on and stays on. I might have to look into the upgraded mouth piece and see if that works.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
IT DOES WORK!! It's not a hoax. Read some of the links above in "Killerbee" 's signature. Explains it all. His true cold air intake, and mouthpiece upgrade will get rid of most of the fan activity, and reduce engine and transmission temps a good bit, especially when towing.

It's the single best investment you can make for the longevity of your engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So what is the difference between A-IOH and IOH? is the A-IOH a new mouthpiece or a modified stock one? This will work with my stage 2 AFE? will i benefit more from this kit over a hand machined LLY mouthpiece i already have?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
it is a larger MP that is shorter to accomodate aftermarket tubes. It has a different coupling for the task as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts