Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I did a search already and either couldn’t find it or the stuff I found were old threads. So maybe a new one will give some different answers. What have people used for rear air bag kits? I tow a 13k gvw bumper pull equipment trailer with different stuff on it from time to time. It weighs about 3000lbs empty and even that makes my 21 2500 rear suspension squat. So I want to add airbags before I add a 30+ft travel trailers the arsenal and start going around the country with the family. If I only tow once or twice a month is it necessary to get a kit with a compressor? Are the compressors even reliable? Or just go with a manual fill kit? Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Timbrens or Summo Springs are no-fuss, no-upkeep solutions to your problem. Once installed, there's nothing you need to do to them. Way cheaper than Airbags and compressor and way easier to own. Lots of people like them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Timbrens or Summo Springs are no-fuss, no-upkeep solutions to your problem. Once installed, there's nothing you need to do to them. Way cheaper than Airbags and compressor and way easier to own. Lots of people like them.
Sounds awesome. How’s the ride quality in your opinion?

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
134 Posts
Roadmaster Active Suspension.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
They'll be fine when you're loaded heavy and they're significantly compressed, and they'll be fine when you're empty and they're not yet in contact with the axle, but if you're moderately loaded so that they're just barely touching the axle (which is how my truck is, with the hitch/tank/tools etc. in the bed), they'll ride like crap. Bouncy as hell.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had Air Lift airbags in my previous tow vehicle (a Suburban C2500) and really liked them. I didn’t need much squat help even with my 9500# travel trailer with 1300# tongue weight, but the bags made a big difference in smoothing out the rear end ride over bumps while towing. Timbrens or Sumos would accomplish the same bump stop cushion most likely, but I don’t think they do anything to soften the ride otherwise. I’ve still never been able to find a comparison between those products and air bags, from someone who’s used both.

The other thing I appreciated about Air Lift is they stand behind their product, almost no questions asked. My Burb’s system was installed by a previous owner and the bags had dry rotted over the years and didn’t hold air anymore. I contacted Air Lift and sent some photos at their request, and they shipped brand new bags and mounting hardware at no cost whatsoever.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I recently upgraded from a 2006 Sierra 3500 to a 2020 Sierra 3500. The 2020 came with Firestone ride right airbags on it. Never thought I’d need/want airbags with a 3500, but they really help take the bounce out of the rear suspension when towing our ~10k lb 37’ TT. Now I wish I’d had them on the old truck.

I have the WirelessOne controller and onboard compressor and it is really nice being able to change your air pressure on the fly as you’re going down the road to find that sweet spot. Loaded, I run at 20psi.

Reactions: TJSe7en

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I have neither of them now nor in the past on my LMM. I had airbags in a previous truck, and while they would raise the bed with a load, the ride suffered. If your situation is that a heavy 5th wheel caused interference with the truck bed, I would consider airbags. Being able to raise the bed to the max could get you out of a sticky situation if you managed to get in one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently upgraded from a 2006 Sierra 3500 to a 2020 Sierra 3500. The 2020 came with Firestone ride right airbags on it. Never thought I’d need/want airbags with a 3500, but they really help take the bounce out of the rear suspension when towing our ~10k lb 37’ TT. Now I wish I’d had them on the old truck.

I have the WirelessOne controller and onboard compressor and it is really nice being able to change your air pressure on the fly as you’re going down the road to find that sweet spot. Loaded, I run at 20psi.
yeah that’s the type of setup I was leaning towards. I was just skeptical about the compressor. So far so good though huh? Where is it mounted? Just underneath by the bags?

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
yeah that’s the type of setup I was leaning towards. I was just skeptical about the compressor. So far so good though huh? Where is it mounted? Just underneath by the bags?
Outside of passenger frame rail, under the cab.

So far so good I guess - I’ve only had it 2 months, but it was on there before I bought it.

Compressor on the right, wireless control valve on left.

Reactions: TJSe7en

·
Registered
212 Posts
My compressor was under the hood, and toasted (from exposure to engine heat I assume) and I just never replaced it. The manual fill was mounted nearby so I’d use that (takes almost no pressure… you can use a bicycle pump if you want). I still had a working psi gauge mounted inside and a release valve to bleed air if the ride was too bouncy/overfilled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys. I did a search already and either couldn’t find it or the stuff I found were old threads. So maybe a new one will give some different answers. What have people used for rear air bag kits? I tow a 13k gvw bumper pull equipment trailer with different stuff on it from time to time. It weighs about 3000lbs empty and even that makes my 21 2500 rear suspension squat. So I want to add airbags before I add a 30+ft travel trailers the arsenal and start going around the country with the family. If I only tow once or twice a month is it necessary to get a kit with a compressor? Are the compressors even reliable? Or just go with a manual fill kit? Thanks for any suggestions
I have a 2011 Dmax with Firestone air bags. I do not have a compressor because I only tow my 5th wheel trailer roughly 5-6 times a yr. So I didn’t see any reason to spend the money on it. I run 30-40 lbs of air to even the truck out so it doesn’t sag.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Air ride bags hands down for towing. Internal jounce so you can run them flat until you need them. Seal the compressor wiring with high grade silicone adhesive to keep water out, and around you airline plug into the bags.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
I have the Air Lift 5000 setup and love it. It levels my truck when the camper is attached and the bags smooth out the ride when loaded as well. When not towing I drop the PSI to nearly nothing in the bags.

I need to air up my rear tires while towing also so I bought a 12 volt compressor to sit in the basement of the 5er. I air up the tires and bags at one time with the same compressor.

To make life easier I bought a "T" adapter for the air bags so I can air them both up at the same time. Since my load is always centered in the bed on the 5er hitch I see no need to ever load them differentially and one Schrader valve makes it easier.

·
Registered
2019 3500 SRW
147 Posts
Just installed Firestone bags on my 3500. We tow a 12-13K fifth wheel. I like them… I think. I bought the T junction, but didn’t install it. Figured if they’re separate systems it’s easier to diagnose which one is leaking. I have a handheld rechargeable slime pump with built in gauge I use to fill them. I keep them at 8-10 empty and when the trailer is loaded that jumps to 20 which gets me level.

Still trying to fine tune where I want them. I tried 25 for about 100 miles. Got it just barely north of level and further from the overloads but felt a little harsh. For level I’m measuring ground to fender from the center of each wheel. Again, I think I like them. Mine is a 19 so more rake to absorb the sag than the new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts