Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haul a 35ft fifth wheel on my gooseneck setup it has 2 slides weighs around 12k just wondering what's the best way to keep my truck from sagging so bad? Air bags or Helpers?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Air bags with on board air hands down..... I'm going to remove my overload spring and one leaf this week... I've been told under no load with the bags the ride is awesome

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I prefer bags. Easy to install and ride a little better. Only advise I have is go with the on board controller. I put firestones on mine and love them

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I'd go with an airlift setup. They have a very good rep around here (and for good reason) the kits are very well put together.

I've also installed the firestone kit, and it is quality as well, however I'd go airlift personally :thumb

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yea I went airlift... And if you buy the bags and on board air at the same time you get a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were can you buy whole kit and how much? Were do u mount tabk

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
alligator and dmaxstore sell the setups IIRC.

A lot of guys mount the tank on the inside of their frame rails, some in their beds depending on size and what i've seen

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you use tank to pump up tires too

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The airlift That I have is just the compressor it has a sensor relayed I'n it to not let the bags go under 5 pounds of pressure...(which gets you the lifetime warranty). If you bought one of the more expensive set ups it probably could be done.... But how mine are set up that is a no....

Now if you got a train horn set up like I have you can put a air fitting on the tank to run tools

·
Registered
202 Posts
I guess I will be lone dissenter, I had Firestone Ride Rites and they were terrible. The locating knob on the upper bag would break all the time and they would lose air over a weekend. I didn't have the on board compressor so I would have to either go home with the bags flat or if I got lucky someone had an air tank to help me out. Firestone warranteed them 2x in 1 year then the warranty came to an end and that was it. Took off those useless Ride Rites and put Hellwigs on and I was a happy guy.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the air bags keep a certain amount in them then once you put load on they automatically pump up to keep level??

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
no they have a guage and a pump and i air release valve... they say with no air they will blow out so they have a sensor that will keep 5 pounds in them no matter what... when you put a load the poundedge actually goes up... but its easy enough to just press the button and pump them up to make it ride the best under load......

i mounted my guage and switches inside my "drug stash box" (under the cup holders) it fits nice and since i dont tow that often i dont have to look at the guage....

my friend was telling me that if you get the edge insight you can wire them up through that to pump the air up.. hes about to install it on his dodge and is going to let me know what parts i need for that

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have air lifts and a onboard compressor. The cheap one. It was about $125 for the compressor. I love them. I wouldn't go any other way.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So how much will it cost for all this and what do I need I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
eBay item number 260851052572
And 110741721244

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only thing I was wondering is it worth doing heavy duty pump or wireless one??

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thats the pump I have and I have no problems ,.. I don't have to look at the gauge either since it's I'n my stash box... Wireless sounds cool but the only thing I can figure is if you lose it or your battery's run out.... Install is simple with both things

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So that pumps cuts on automatically??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts