Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Truck seat covers are up to 76% off right now on eBay. Click here for Black! Tan! Multi-coloured! even Camo!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Chevy LLY Duramax Ext Cab
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I just recently replaced my fuel filter on my last oil change. When doing so I thought I did everything correctly, including lubricating the o-rings and bleeding the air out of the bleeder screw. But after the truck sat for 2 days, when I tried starting it, it fired up for 4 seconds then died. I tried hand-priming the filter again and then it finally started. I assumed the air would work itself out but now when the truck sits for a day it won't start because of that air. I tried to bleed the system again with the bleeder screw until nothing but fuel was coming out of the screw. This morning, it happened again. So I primed it once again but then for the first time, I saw air bubbles coming out of where the fuel filer meets the housing. I am not sure if that is where the air is getting in or not. I hope it's the o-ring and not the housing itself. Has this happened to anyone and if so what did you do? Please any suggestions are helpful. Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Yes the filter o ring leak is your issue. Take the filer off and see if the ring is salvageable. I use dielectric grease or vasoline on that o ring and the inner seal when I replace the filter to keep them from grabbing, moving and possibly getting damaged. It's not hard to do. Ask me how I know lol.

·
Registered
2005 Chevy LLY Duramax Ext Cab
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay great, I will try that and see how it goes. When I installed the fuel filter I tried to lube it with some new engine oil but it must have not sealed properly. Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.