Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Been there "done that"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Im looking to install either an Air Dog2 165 or 200...havent decided yet. Im no mechanic ..but am mechanically inclined.. so im hoping to install myself in my garage with basic tools. Is there an install video anywhere for my truck? i Found LmL installs but not 07 classic LBZ yet.
Also im hearing about pickup straws and bottom pickups.. im not familiar with bottom pickup/Straw installs.. is this hard to install for a rookie?.
Does the tank have to be removed to install either a pickup tube or bottom pickup?
Do i need any special tools to correctly handle this install and the fuel line connections?

Also can anyone comment on how clean the install is with the hoses and wiring harness supplied. Is it nice and neat?.
I will admit im picky and like it to look clean.. not sloppy.

Figure i can take my time over a weekend ..go slow and hopefully no issues.

Any info/comments you guys have would be great..

Thanks
Keith

ps any vendors .. if you would like can you PM me a quote on a 165 and 200?

·
Been there "done that"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing.. If i leave my cat filter installed is that an issue?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Its a very straight forward install. Air dog supplies all quick disconnect fittings that will snap right on to your oem lines. The wiring is very simple as well. They even supply the add circuit fuse with kit i believe. The only thing is they give you way more hose than you need. As far as installing a new draw straw i believe you would have to drop the tank but even that is not very hard at all. I've dropped my tank just on the floor of my garage before. Just unbolt the 2 saddles and it well dropped down. When you say bottom pickup I think you mean a fuel sump. It will not require you to drop your tank. You just drill like a 2" hole in the bottom of the tank wit a hole saw and install the sump. The inside piece comes in two halves allowing you to insert it through the hole you cut in the bottom of the tank. The cat filter will just provide even more filtering. Theres a quick mod you can do to the air dog to actually install the cat filter on it.

·
Been there "done that"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply
So can the hoses be shortened to make for a cleaner install with what they give you in the kit?
Humm dropping the tank.. isnt so easy.. i do not have a lift.. bottom sump may be a better idea.. taking a hole saw to my tank is a bit uneasy... lol.

Keith

·
Registered
120 Posts
The install isn't bad. The hardest part is getting the factory line out only because the fittings are in a horrible location. I didn't have to drop the tank or lift the bed when i did mine or my buddy's. I have seen several complaints with the directions, but maybe they have changed them since I didn't think they were bad. The hoses that come with the airdog are way too long. I didn't cut mine down yet but i will as soon as it gets a little warmer.
Be careful about what fuel line/ac disconnect tools you buy! some sets do not work because they don't go far enough into the connection. I got a set from Napa for $11 and they work great. the ones from auto zone and advance auto (at least the ones around me) don't work so don't waste your money

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/112534-air-dog-2-how.html

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
You don't even need to install a need draw straw. Just disconnect the the the factory line on top of the sending unit and connect the air dog line. It will work fine just will not solve the 1/4 tank fueling issues. The lines on top the tank are tough to get at because of the rock shield but many people either trim a bit of the top of the shield or just bend it out of the till your done. You can shorten the lines as well to make for a cleaner install.

·
Been there "done that"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok.. so that saves alot of work.. no straw or sump required.. Can the factory lines be capped and stay in place?.. If the airdog pump fails im thinking would have to go back to stk.. not sure thats possible.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
There is a 2' piece of factory line you will completely remove for the install. It goes from the the sending unit the top the fuel cooler. Your air dog line will go from the sending unit to the suction of the air dog pump and the discharge of the pump connects to the fitting at the top of the fuel cooler. I'm pretty sure if the pump dies you will not be able to draw fuel through it. Some guys will tee into the line going to the pump suction and make a by-bass around the pump just in case it does die.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
How in sweet jesus does anyone get that god d**n fuel line off. I bought the tool from autozone and spent 1.5 hrs a bottle of brake kleen and nothin. im fixin to get western

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
How in sweet jesus does anyone get that god d**n fuel line off. I bought the tool from autozone and spent 1.5 hrs a bottle of brake kleen and nothin. im fixin to get western
Did you get it??

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Shit no that mofo is just toyin with me at this point. I had 3 beers the second time i tried and got more pissed so i put everything up and ill dick with it in the morning and see if i can beat it into submission

·
Registered
492 Posts
Make sure u push the fuel line in then push the tool into the line and pull both together hope u get it

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Man ive tried everything i think my tool is to damn flimsy so ima try and get a real one from napa...screw that autozone pos

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just had a plastic one and it seemed to work
Had to get the hose to move back and forth easily before it would come off
Just keep wiggling it it will come off
Good luck

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Some fuel line disconnect tools do not go in far enough to release the line. The Lisle brand seems to work well.

Some of these folks are making this WAY more complicated than need be.

You take apart the suction line, install airdog fitting and hose, install hose to pump, output hose to the disconnected portion of the original fuel line. Then you do the same pretty much for the return line. The wiring is as simple as can possibly be. It looks mildly intimidating at first just because there are a lot of parts. But its really simple. And there is ZERO need for a draw straw or sump until you're into aftermarket turbo, injectors and cp3 territory.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
120 Posts
the ones from auto zone DO NOT WORK! a buddy of mine bought them (the sizes are color coded) and they dont go nearly far enough in. get a set from napa they're like $11

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Went to sears got the lisle and went in far enough...low and behold sob came right off. Auto zone is a no no for anyone doing this

1 - 17 of 17 Posts