Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys does gthe air dog replace the use of your factory fuel pump. for example if your fuel pump goes out can you just use an air dog as your primary fuel pump? or do they work together thanks

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
Air dog keeps pressurized fuel to your CP3 so it doesnt have to work as hard to pull the fuel from the tank. This extends the life of the CP3 and also solves the issues of draining the fuel rail on bigger tunes. i dont think you can run off a air dog by itself.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
There is no fuel pump in the tank. The CP3 pulls the fuel from the tank under vacuum then pressurizes it to 4k to 26k. The airdog takes some of the load of CP3 plus removes air for the fuel.

·
maketodaythebestofurlife
363 Posts
So, even with the AirDog you still need to keep up maintenance on the factory filter?.... Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
619 Posts
I know the AirDog is a flow through design, so in the event it fails fuel can still get through. Do the fuel still go through the filter if it fails?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys i new the cp3 wasnt in the tank i just wasnt sure if you deleted it when adding an air dog i didnt no that the cp3 created that much psi. So the duramaxes only have one fuel pump then just the cp3?

·
Registered
342 Posts
thanks guys i new the cp3 wasnt in the tank i just wasnt sure if you deleted it when adding an air dog i didnt no that the cp3 created that much psi. So the duramaxes only have one fuel pump then just the cp3?
Yes we only have a CP3. That's it. It vacuumes (no pressure) the fuel from the tank and then pressurizes it to the 4,000-26,000psi mentioned earlier. You can add an aftermarket lift pump to push fuel to the CP3 to the tune of around 8-12 psi. The cp3 alone works fine but can't suck enough fuel by itself for higher horsepowers. The airdog also lets you separate the water from the fuel and run it through another filter as well as making it easier on the cp3 to function.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts