Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

An LBZ that I bought had an k&n intake system put on it and the guy oiled the filter too heavy and triggered the check engine light. I have removed the filter, washed and re-oiled it and then reinstalled it. Cleared the code and it lasted about 3 days before teh check engine light came back on. My question is...is there any kind of sensor that I should clean or is there any way to fix this. the light goes on and off, its driving me nuts.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The MAF sensor in the intake tube gets contaminated with the oil, and that affect the reading of the sensor.

Most parts stores carry a MAF sensor cleaner. Be extra careful with the sensor-- it is fragile and $$$.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any special trick to cleaning it? just take it out, spray it on and wipe it off?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Is there any special trick to cleaning it? just take it out, spray it on and wipe it off?
Spray the MAF Sensor cleaner on and let it evaporate. The little wires on the sensor are very fragile and break easily. If one is broken, you will need to replace the sensor and they are expensive. Like sickdiesel says, replace it with a dry filter and you won't have any more problems with this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is no need to replace it! everyone says that but....... I have had K&N in my vehicles for almost 15 years. only had one problem and it was because the guy I bought the truck from over oiled it. put the right amount of oil on it, clean the sensor and you will be fine. no need to continuously buy dry filters over and over and over again

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are there any dry filters that you guys recommend to replace the k&N cone, really don't want to have to buy another complete intake if its gonna be the same basic tubing. Are there any dry filters that are washable that last.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think people generally over oil the K&N filters. I don't think they need to be saturated to the point the MAF sensor gets covered. Just a light coating.

I have used CRC Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner with success for a MAF sensors on a M-Benz. I was told its the same stuff in a different can. Probably much cheaper than a can labeled MAF sensor cleaner.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
i dont think there is a replacement dry filter for the kn it has way to big of a filter end

1 - 10 of 10 Posts