Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my '02 chevy there is a hole that is covered up by an aluminum sticky pad that leads into the fender by the air box. if i were to take it off and cut a hole in my air box would it be ok to pull air from the fender? would this increase performance (cooler air)?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
yes pull the stupid piece of foil off and i don't know why GM did that but it's suppose to pull air thru the fender but with that little piece in there it has a hard time doing it..you can cut on the box but i would also invest into a aftermarket drop in filter from either AFE,S&B,Volant,Amsoil or Airaid but stay away from K&N for yout turbo charged diesel..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it be better to put some kind of tube from the airbox to the hole? obviously it would pull cooler air but is there and downside to this?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
you wouldn't really gain anything by doing a tube like you mentioned seeing the box is designed to keep the hot air from the engine away from the CAI hole..

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
The design you refer to was the result of an engineering change done to the vehicle in 01. It was a tragic decision for this truck. Originally the truck used an intake that sealed up to those holes. But it had too much resistance and there was an element contamination issue in isolated cases.

Remove the foil mastic, and use an intake that seals to the 2 holes. You will drop maximum IAT's from 240 to 170 by doing this. You will also gain 30 HP or so towing.

It will also keep the fan off more. You will really enjoy pulling away from lights better in the summer, a night and day difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts