Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own an 02 Duramax with superchip, straight pipe, etc. I farm and tow occasionally. I am in dusty conditions fairly often. My question is does anyone have any suggestions what performance intake i should get?? I want more air flow but dont want to damage my duramax. any suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take a look at the AMSOIL EAA air filters, great air flow and excellent filtration. If it looks good to you let me know, will get you a good price on it.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
for me personaly i would run the stock intake unless you do a turbo upgrade and drop a afe,amsoil or a s&b drop-in-filter in there,that will do the trick for alot less money...just my $.02

·
Registered
131 Posts
If I were to do the Kennedy airbox mod will the Amsoil, or S&B work better for the mod or would it be okay to still use a Fram Tough Guard with the mod?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
for me personaly i would run the stock intake unless you do a turbo upgrade and drop a afe,amsoil or a s&b drop-in-filter in there,that will do the trick for alot less money...just my $.02
I would have to agree. The point to a cold air intake is to suck more air and if its dusty.......:rolleyes: The stock air box keeps alot of debris out so Id kep that and get a aftermarket drop in.

The only cold air intake Id look at would be the Volant. They seem to be similar to the stock boxes and Im sure keep alot of junk out :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
192 Posts
It is the element that is responsible for catching debris. It has been proven that the drop-ins are inferior to the stock element, an independent study was performed that showed that some drop ins allowed 15 times more dirt through, and clogged up twice as fast.

And the point of a CAI is to suck cold dense air. I agree the volant is good but that is because they designed it to keep down hot air ingestion. But it does not filter the best. It is not even close really. My intake, with factory element, does both effectively. With charted data instead of false promises. Anyway, I stand behind my last statement. No CAI is going to be an improvement to normal street performance. many a racer has tried, and all agree that track times (no change) proved it was a waste of money all around.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So will the stock filter still trap the dirt and debris the same if you cut open the stock box and open it up like the Kennedy airbox mod :confused:

·
Dmax 4M 4EVER!
53 Posts
If you want better flow but are concerned with dust, and dont mind a bit of periodic maintenance, consider the Volant or K&N or other "cone" type filter kit, and just slip a stocking of panty hose over the filter, and it works like this... ( I like the black ones, cuz they look sexy!)

The panty hose get pulled all the way on, and as it gets dirty you just slip it off a little bit at a time until its used up.

This is what we Alaskans do when the volcanoes blow and it works great. You can still have cold air and have a good filter, that doesnt need cleaning near as often.....I promise. Just dont let the wife or her friend catch you buying them at the 7-11... LOL.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
If you want better flow but are concerned with dust, and dont mind a bit of periodic maintenance, consider the Volant or K&N or other "cone" type filter kit, and just slip a stocking of panty hose over the filter, and it works like this... ( I like the black ones, cuz they look sexy!)

The panty hose get pulled all the way on, and as it gets dirty you just slip it off a little bit at a time until its used up.

This is what we Alaskans do when the volcanoes blow and it works great. You can still have cold air and have a good filter, that doesnt need cleaning near as often.....I promise. Just dont let the wife or her friend catch you buying them at the 7-11... LOL.

Im sorry thats just funny.... I dont care who you are. :rof :thumbsup

Great tip as well! I never would of thought of it!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts