Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 dmax and i just put a 4 inch straight pipe exhaust on it and now im looking into getting a cold air intake for it. I'm considering afe, s&b, or volant. Are those good intakes? if not what are some good ones? And is it worth the money to get a cold air intake over a drop in?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
All those are excellent intakes. I currently have an AFE with the Proguard 7 filter. You won't notice much gain with a new intake, but you will have a louder turbo whistle.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the earlier(01 thru 05)Duramaxs need to do a aftermarket CAI and you will notice quite improvment in economy and performance by doing one so i would highly recommend doing a AFE,S&B,Volant or Amsoil CAI..

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
And is it worth the money to get a cold air intake over a drop in?
Yes. But don't believe the claim on a colorful box or ad. Most of the claimed CAI, produce no appreciable benefits. That is because the dmax has an unusual heat challenge that was built into the original vehicle design

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
why? is it different than all the other "cold" air intakes that source "hot" pre-heated air from the engine compartment?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
question for KillerBee,what would be your thoughts on the best CAI avalible?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts