Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if it's worth putting a K&N Air Filter or Cold Air Intake on my 2007.5 Silverado/Duramax 2500HD crew cab. I had one in my 2005 gas V8 and it really allowed for more air/power (I had a true flow which I guess is technically a sealed cold air intake). However, I'm not sure if there will be any benefit with the Duramax engine.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I tried a K&N on mine with no benefit over the stock Donaldson. I went back to the Donaldson. Fill out your signature so we will know what you have.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
BTW, Welcome to the DF!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go with a dry filter, or just stay with the stock one. I have an oiled filter and after reading on here a bit I'm trying to get a dry filter or find a stock one. Search a little on here and see what most think of an oiled filter.

·
Banned
4,544 Posts
what other mods? If relatively stock, leave the factory, you will actually loose HP without significant mods. IE: Tuning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the input/feedback. You guys just saved me a few hundred $. Enough to almost pay for my Line-X.

·
Vendor
10,966 Posts
Oiled filters tend to cause havic to the MAF sensor. Stay with a dry filter. The airboxes on the Dmax are good enough for up to about 500 hp. If you are set on changing to a cold air, consider a different one with a dry filter. AMSOIL offers the Injen Cold Air Intake.

Let me know if I can get you any information on them.

Take care,

·
Banned
4,544 Posts
Actually the S&B filter (oiled) works just great on our trucks and does NOT create havoc on the MAF, however like I said a aftermarket intake wont do much until you tune. And its actually around 400rwhp when you see gains. and the most gains was 19rwhp on a 530rwhp tune.

If you are set on a aftermarket filter for your dmax, I highly recommend the S&B. It is awesomely priced as well.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
I went with the stock intake box and a afr pro gaurd 7 drop in filter. I noticed no difference, and have had no problems.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I'm also going to throw out there that not ALL oiled filters are that bad... I've had a Banks on my truck for over 50K now, and my intake is white glove clean, and no oil has reached my MAF yet. Way I look at it is, just don't over oil and it will work fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts