Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased our new trailer, after several years with out, and finally a decent tow rig, the wife and I wen't and purchased a Keystone Sprinter 316BIK. Very nice trailer.

Now to the question; Does any one have any experience with a air ride hitch for your truck. There are two names that i can find;

http://www.shockerhitch.com

http://www.airsafehitches.com/

Let me know what your experiences are and if it is worth the investment.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No experience on a bumper hitch set-up no.
I however ran a 5th Airborne Pin Boxes - Reese on my previous 5th wheel and loved it. My new trailer has a Moryde glide MorRyde Fifth Wheel Pin Boxes which is nice for chucking but not nothing like the airborne was but an okay alternative compared to a stock pin box.
So in summary I could only think that any comparable product would aid in the ride of the truck and trailer versus a conventional stock hitch.

On a separate note I still have a new airborne in box that the dealer gave me when they thought there was an issue with mine but turned out to be a pinched line and was fixed so I have the new one tucked away if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
been pulling a TT since 2005 put about 20k miles with it attached and I see no need for a air ride hitch with a pull behind. I have a 5er now and would like a air hitch but they are pretty expensive. Just get a good WD hitch like a reese and the heaviest bars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Truck Is Rinning A KeldermAn Its Tied In To My Leafs And Works Wonders I Tow My 34 Ft Bumper Pull And Forget Its Ever Even There Till I LookBehind Me. I Also Tow A Bbq Comp Grill That Is Pretty Toung Heavy And Its Grea. Might Look Into That Or Some Helper Bags For As Much As Just A Hitch Is. Just My 2 ©

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not the weight or puling the trailer, it is the fact that the roads up here arent the greatest. It is not the up and down motion going over the bumps but the push from the trailer.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Just get a good WD hitch like a reese and the heaviest bars.
X2. A good WD hitch with anti-sway will make your trip much more enjoyable. I have a bumper pull 20' enclosed. The truck easily handles it without a WD hitch, but I still put it on because it makes the trailer ride so much smoother.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have got a reese WD with Anti sway presently. I am looking for anyone that uses the air ride system.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
the push from the trailer.
i dont think air will help since the pivot point is behind the axle, well 4 feet behind, so it is always going to push you around some. wait till you take a turn too fast, it will almost push your ass end off the road, I took a on ramp way too fast once and almost lost it.. with the fifth wheel it handles way better on fast turns, it pushes the front a little instead..

·
Registered
142 Posts
i have an airsafe hitch on one of my air ride trailers. cant say it helps alot but in theory it should help at least a little. air ride trailer is where its at!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have an Air Safe hitch that I use with our Sydney 32 foot TT. (dry weight is just over 8,000 lbs)
The hitch does make a difference but it is not a fix-all potion that will make it ride like a Cady!
It proved to me that it does help out though. On Interstate 69 that runs across Michigan there are a couple of really bad spots because of the expansion joints. One of the bad places is westbound near Lansing. Before the Air Safe hitch (using wieght distibuting and sway bar) I would have to slow down because the wife and kids would almost get sick from bouncing up and down in the seats. My kid would say "Dad; what's wrong with the truck? Is something broke?" :poke[1]:
Then I purchased the Air hitch and drove that same stretch of I69 with the same trailer and truck. I thought they had fixed the road until I passed another travel trailer and the truck pulling it was bouncing up and down like mad. I watched my trailer in the mirror and could see it moving but my truck was not. (most of the time)
Sometimes though it will seem like it will get out of sync (truck, hitch and trailer) and start to bounce like a normal trailer then it will smooth out again.
Like I said earlier it is not a cure all hitch that will make it ride like Cady but it does make a difference. :thumb
Sorry for the long post but I understand that it is a lot of money to spend on a hitch.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First hand experience is what I was looking for. The roads in and near Edmonton are pretty rough, with the sway bar and WD, the travel was making me ill. I appreciate the experience you have shared with me. I think that I will be making the change here. I am going to borrow my buddys and find out first hand though.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That stretch is bad even without a trailer

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
. On Interstate 69 that runs across Michigan there are a couple of really bad spots because of the expansion joints. One of the bad places is westbound near Lansing. .
I pulled Saturday on that same stretch of road , my air bagged truck was a lot more enjoyable with the 5er attached

·
Registered
122 Posts
First hand experience is what I was looking for. The roads in and near Edmonton are pretty rough, with the sway bar and WD, the travel was making me ill. I appreciate the experience you have shared with me. I think that I will be making the change here. I am going to borrow my buddys and find out first hand though.
That's great that you can borrow one before buying and try it out first hand.
Good luck.

I pulled Saturday on that same stretch of road , my air bagged truck was a lot more enjoyable with the 5er attached
Wish I could have gotten a 5er but having a topper on the truck for work made me get a TT. Maybe someday I'll get to move up to a 5er.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts