Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using air springs in the rear with a leveling kit in the front? I would like to stabilize my ride a little more, and wondering about the air systems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a levelling kit up front and Firestone Ride Rite air bags in the rear. What do you want to know?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would like to know if the air bags would help stabilize the ride, when unloaded. I notice going down the freeway, the front end hops a little, and the ass end bounces a lot. Just wanted to know if they would stop, or help the rear end bounce, when the bed is not loaded. Or not towing anything. Another Question, those 30570r16's those about 33" tire?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The back of my truck does not bounce at all, either does the front. Try tightening your torsion bars. The truck will ride a little stiffer but should stop the bounce...experiment.. mark the adjusment bolt with a marker and turn each bolt in the same number of turns...try 3 or 4 turns at a time...take it for a ride to see if it handle any better...if not... turn them more. Keep track of the total number of turns to allow you to return it to the original position.

The air bags will help stabilize the rear end and they are fully adjustable. I keep beteen 5-10 psi in them when unloaded and it rides fine...the more pressure I add, the stiffer the ride. I run them at 50 psi when towing my 5th wheel trailer. I was told by a local suspension shop where I purchased them that if I was hauling a bed camper to use an independant shraeder valve for each bag...but if your towing a 5th wheel to tee the line to one valve....this way, the air will flow from one side to the other whereas the pressure would remain constant when the bags are independant. I don't know the theory behind the reason...I just know that my truck corners good at the recommended speeds posted in corners.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tires are around 33", I could measure the height if you would like?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info ffden. Sounds like the bags do help when unloaded, but help more when hauling or towing. Thanks for the tires size. No, don't measure. Just to give me a rough Idea for tire sizes.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
im lookin into the air ride system for the rear heard alot of goo stuff bout em

1 - 9 of 9 Posts