Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm a longtime lurker and first time poster. Ive run into a little problem installing my Airdog 2 lift pump, now don't get me wrong I know there are thousands of other threads just like this and I have read most. I already know how to wire the pump, where to install it and what lines go where.

It's just the rear suction line on top of the fuel tank will not come off and I simply cannot get my hands in there to use the disconnect tool I have. (Already bent the tank shield back and have metal & plastic disconnect tools)

I've already removed the front fuel line (After spraying out dirt and gunk with air/pb blaster) above the fuel cooler and have everything planned out ready to go.

Any guys or gals out there have some tips for my to get access to that rear line properly? I know dropping the fuel tank is an option but I would like to ask before I go that route.

Since I'm new I figured I should post a not so recent picture of my truck.

I'll post an updated picture of my truck tomorrow :cool:

:thumb

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Drop the tank, air gun, jack and 5 minutes, hopefully it's almost empty

- Sent from Nexus S -

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fuel lines don't have those red plastic connections, It's just two metal connectors.
Is the consensus to drop my tank? She's at 3/4tank haha.

·
Registered
533 Posts
if ya cant reach ya just cant you either need to drop tank or tip bed back remove all front bolts and just loosen rear then jack up the front of bed a few inches to get ya the room. i installed mine on the ground no lift and was able to sit on my but on the passenger side chest against driveline and got it after about 3 good tries. its kindof a PITA but not bad. mine is an lb7 so might be a little different but either way good luck and sorry for long post.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. Maybe I should just drop the tank tomorrow morning. I've never taken a fuel tank off one of these newer trucks before is it very hard? Just remove fuel neck at the fuel door and I seen the two large bolts on the end of the straps, That it?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
08 LMM CC/SB, I'll update my profile right meow

·
Registered
41 Posts
If your tanks that full I'd just lift the bed. On a classic it's only 8 bolts. Took no time to pull those and set it on 4x4's. I did mine as a work day project and the wife was the only help around. It's not too bad the 4x4's on the frame gave me enough of room to get my hands in there and get that stupid "quick connect" off.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I could not imagine his being different from mine. I hope he is attempting the right one cause mine did not have metal clips

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll go take a few pictures right now, I'm 99% sure none of my fittings have the red plastic disconnect's on them.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I have little hands and arms so I fit just fine. It was quite annoyin though.
Bigger hands just makes everything on these trucks 10x harder!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is my rear one above the tank,

And the one above the fuel cooler. (This one I managed to uncouple)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Who knows maybe things are different between GMC's and Chevrolets. If I knew how I would just take the rear drive shaft out or something if I knew how to separate it from the transfer case haha. Tomorrow i'll just drop the tank I guess, unless I can find a little person to crawl up in there :)

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
if ya cant reach ya just cant you either need to drop tank or tip bed back remove all front bolts and just loosen rear then jack up the front of bed a few inches to get ya the room. i installed mine on the ground no lift and was able to sit on my but on the passenger side chest against driveline and got it after about 3 good tries. its kindof a PITA but not bad. mine is an lb7 so might be a little different but either way good luck and sorry for long post.
x2!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts