Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well on my one and only day off i decided to do my install on the Airdog2 165 which was going relatively smooth until i came to the part where you have to cut the filler neck to insert the sleeve for the return line.
the problem is that there is a plastic tube running inside of the filler neck. the instructions even say that some 01-04 models have this and to NOT cut into the plastic tube but simple insert the tube inside of the sleeve and so on. well the problem is that the plastic tube inside of the rubber filler tube seems to be fixed at the gas cap and goes all the way down inside the fuel tank, i pulled hard and it seems fixed rigid.

anyone else come across this and/or know what to do? i have to drive my truck to work tomorrow so i have to have this fixed or i am screwed.

thanks in advance

Registered
Don't cut that tube!! if you do filling your truck will be a pain in the ass.take the filler neck apart from the gas cap. I believe the tube should come out of the gas tank. if not cut the large filler neck with a razor blade and insert the "t" over the tube.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's exactly what i did, i cut the rubber outer tube not the plastic tube but that still doesn't allow me to put the sleeve in because the plastic tube goes from the gas cap all the way down into the tank

Registered
it's been a while but I seem to remember dismantling the gas cap assembly from inside the bed of the truck. that allowed me to remove the outer tube from the small inner tube and slide to T over.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it looks like the inside tube is crimped on the gas cap assembly with a metal non-reusable band clamp but i cant tell, im letting my flashlight recharge at the moment and ill look again

Registered
there should be 3 screws inside the fuel door around the gas cap. I'm pretty sure once you remove those the whole thing will come apart from the inside.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i got that far but it turns out you have to yank on the filler neck with both hands and the plastic tube comes out, i got it all taken care of just had to use a lot of force i guess haha.
thanks for the replies though the info helped a lot more the the stupid instructions did on that part.

Registered
Glad to help. Be sure to check the pressure coming out of the Airdog. Mine was set way to high. Truck would lope when coming to a stop and would throw a p0089 fuel pressure regulator code. I ended up backing the adjustment screw all the way out to get 9-8psi cold and 7-6 warm. I put a gauge on the filter head. Merchant auto sell an adaptor for the bleed screw hole.good luck

Registered
Same issue when I did mine a few weeks back. I also could not stuff the plastic tube back in so what I had to do is cut the tube right befor it makes the 90 into the tank so it's not stuffed in tank just cut right befor. It would hit the back and bunch up on me. Doesn't leak so I'm happy with it

Registered
I cut the inner hose, and yanked it out. ::eek:mg I have no problems filling her up. Yes, I read the directions, but I thought I would live on the edge. :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
and no fueling issues i take it? that was the big thing that i kept reading that people would cut it way towards the top not knowing and then have fueling nightmares after that

but i guess if you removed the entire tube altogether it wouldn't matter at all.

Registered
No, I did not remove the entire tube. I yanked out the bottom half, and left the top half. I assumed it was designed for a venting application. Worst case scenario, it might take me a little longer to top it up. Maybe it all depends on how far up or down you cut the filler hose to install the sleeve. :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts