Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my airdog 165 and egr blocker plate at the same time, and so far have lost 1-2 mpg. Any ideas? If I adjusted the air dog pressure down would it help?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Check for leaks... maybe clean the truck then look for wetspots

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will try it, hopefully this is the reason. has anyone else lost mileage after installing these?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
no u shouldnt lose mileage, adjusting the pressure might help but def check for leaks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Some will chime in that have noticed a drop after instal, but I had mine done same time of trans build and still see 21mpg hwy, 17 city with average of 18.5 mixed hwy/city. Now that is driving VERY conservative. It only gets 12mpg towing.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Change your OEM filter ?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Mine was leaking out of the WIF sensor drain. It was basically leaking diesel onto my exhaust manifold. I had to delete my factory filter head. My mileage seems to be better now.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I actually lost 1mpg when i unplugged and deleted my EGR. Not sure why but i was still happy not having the EGR set up in there.

What is your psi set at? Did you mess with it?

2.5 turns CW from full CCW will get you to 8-10 psi.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I actually lost 1mpg when i unplugged and deleted my EGR. Not sure why but i was still happy not having the EGR set up in there.

What is your psi set at? Did you mess with it?

2.5 turns CW from full CCW will get you to 8-10 psi.
From my understanding the EGR reroutes some unburnt fuel back into your engine,not just hot dirty exhaust. Well when you delete the EGR you no longer get to burn that unburnt fuel therefore you use more of it which would cause the drop in mpgs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
From my understanding the EGR reroutes some unburnt fuel back into your engine,not just hot dirty exhaust. Well when you delete the EGR you no longer get to burn that unburnt fuel therefore you use more of it which would cause the drop in mpgs.
Correct. You lost MPG when blocking the EGR for sure

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Keeps the soot and hot air out of your motor. You get worse mileage but it's probably better for your motor

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Blocking the EGR will loose mileage but a full delete package aka delete tube and unbridged up-pipe should have no effect on the mielage

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
You really shouldnt lose mileage by getting rid of the EGR. You will be getting cooler air with more oxygen in it to your motor which if anything should help. Unburned fuel on a diesel comes out a soot and black smoke. No unburned fuel-no smoke. If your not smoking down the road then you shouldnt be having a loss of mileage due to unburned fuel not making it back into the intake, not that injecting it along with oxygen depleted air will help it burn any better.

The whole point of the EGR system is to lower combustion temps and EGT's to limit the formation of NOX emissions which occur during high combustion temps. Hotter combustion (higher cylinder pressure rise) and denser air coming into the motor= more power and better efficiency. Hot depleted and sooty air= lower cylinder pressures and temps, slower combustion and lost power. Your bang turns into a whoosh.

Your losing mileage because of either a leak in the system or a leaky injector.

Are you calculating mileage by hand or with the DIC?

DIC could show a drop if more fuel is returning to the tank, not that the DIC is accurrate to begin with.

·
Registered
271 Posts
A buddy of mine put a airdog on his lb7 and lost mileage, turned out pressure was up to high, he turned it down and said it went back to normal

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
A buddy of mine put a airdog on his lb7 and lost mileage, turned out pressure was up to high, he turned it down and said it went back to normal
true story, some people run it waaaaay too high like upper teens.

·
Registered
585 Posts
People almost always see a drop in MPG when putting an EGR blocker plate in, or deleting the EGR altogether.

I think that the main reason is actually that the EGR helps the engine warm up faster by feeding it warmer air. Reason I say this is because I see no MPG loss in the summer, but in the winter, the EGR blocker made me lose mileage when I'm only making short trips. I watch my coolant temp on my Edge and it seems to have noticeably slowed the warm-up process. This isn't great for the engine, but I still feel that it outweight the negatives of leaving the EGR functioning. When the engine is cold, your fuel mileage wills suffer.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Plug your truck in, it will be pretty warm in the morning and will more or less eliminate this problem

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Plug your truck in, it will be pretty warm in the morning and will more or less eliminate this problem
Ever since that guy burned his truck down doing that I've been too scared to do it

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Use a GFI at the wall end and make sure your cords dont have any cuts in them. The chances of burning down are pretty low. You can also put it on a time so it comes on 2 hours before you need to leave so its not running all night

1 - 20 of 24 Posts